The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Q: '95 Bon Pasteur or '95 GPL

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Q: '95 Bon Pasteur or '95 GPL

by wrcstl » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:42 am

Sparing you the details of why, I will be serving one of the above two wines at a tasting this weekend. Has anyone had either of these wines recently? I have not tried many '95's and am concerned that the GPL may be way too young. Whick one would be the most pleasant to drink now?
Thanks,
Walt
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Q: '95 Bon Pasteur or '95 GPL

by Dale Williams » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:18 am

I haven't had the Bon Pasteur, but on general experience I'd vote for it for now. We did a '95 horizontal this winter, my note on the GPL:
This had been decanted earlier in day, day before would have been better. Nice young Pauillac with rich blackcurrant fruit, firm ripe tannins, good finish. Give it ten years.

The Gazin, on the other hand, showed quite nicely. I think the Pomerols (other than the real big boys) are opening up, the Medocs are mostly still tight. HTH.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Q: '95 Bon Pasteur or '95 GPL

by Saina » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 am

wrcstl wrote:Sparing you the details of why, I will be serving one of the above two wines at a tasting this weekend. Has anyone had either of these wines recently? I have not tried many '95's and am concerned that the GPL may be way too young. Whick one would be the most pleasant to drink now?
Thanks,
Walt

I would echo Dale and go with the BP. Rolland's wines are usually approachable young. I tasted the 95-97 trio side by side about a year ago. Curiously, though not considered a good Pomerol vintage, 96 was IMO the best. The 95 was very fine also if you like the Rolland style.

It's been quite a while since I tasted the GPL 95. It should certainly be approachable now, but it has so much in reserve that I wouldn't open it now.

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.