Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's on your pizza?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's on your pizza?

by Jenise » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:53 am

Linda, the only good pepperoni pizza I ever had? In Washington DC at a place called Gepetto's: they bake a deep dish pizza, and separately they pan fry discs of pepperoni (which divest fat, and curl up into little cup shapes). The pepperoni goes on when the pizza comes out of the oven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:16 am

Jenise, we all have different tastes, and that's OK. I'm not looking for converts. Just for the record, though, I make homemade pizza and I cover it all over with just plain ol' Hormel pepperoni and mozzarella on a base of Fratelli pizza sauce. I bake it on my pizza stone, and it's always good, and never greasy!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:26 am

Linda, knew you weren't looking for converts, but I thought you'd be interested in a different way of approaching the standard pepperoni option. But I erred in saying it was the only good pepperoni pizza I ever had, I just remembered how much I liked the one I ordered at a Bucca di Beppo: in addition to the pepperoni, they liberally dosed it with chopped pepperonicini. The addition of the hot/sour peppers gave it whatever plain pepperoni is usually missing for me. It's not that I don't like pepperoni, btw, it's just that any all-meat option is boring to me. I need my veggies!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Linda, knew you weren't looking for converts, but I thought you'd be interested in a different way of approaching the standard pepperoni option.

I'm not terribly fond of pepperoni on pizza either, for the reasons you've stated. A curious demographic factoid, by the way, I've read that pepperoni is the most popular topping in the South, but in the rest of the country it trails sausage and other popular things.

Seguing to another sub-thread, Mary and I both just love anchovy pizza. We once stopped at a Pizza Hut in Shelbyville, Ky, a nice little town in the countryside east of Louisville, and ordered an anchovy and garlic pie. First, I think they had to look all over the building to find the sole can of anchovies on the premises. Then we spotted them all peeking around the edge of the kitchen door to watch the crazy city people and see whether we were actually going to eat that smelly thang. ;)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:.....I make homemade pizza and I cover it all over with just plain ol' Hormel pepperoni...
I like Hormel also, but I like Margherita pepperoni better. I did a search for the Margherita pepperoni and I'm thinking it may be somewhat local in the Buffalo area, as most of the hits were from pizzarias around here, but it is also carried by Sam's Club.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:49 pm

While searching for Margherita pepperoni for the previous post, I found the following intersting website:

PizzaMaking.com
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote: Seguing to another sub-thread, Mary and I both just love anchovy pizza. We once stopped at a Pizza Hut in Shelbyville, Ky, a nice little town in the countryside east of Louisville, and ordered an anchovy and garlic pie. First, I think they had to look all over the building to find the sole can of anchovies on the premises. Then we spotted them all peeking around the edge of the kitchen door to watch the crazy city people and see whether we were actually going to eat that smelly thang. ;)

Ewww. I once had a massage therapist in my office who decided on a lunch hour to bring in a slice of pizza with anchovies. It stank up the entire office to high heavens. I chased her out and had to ventilate the place.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:46 pm

What's on my pizza?

I'm old school: Pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives and tomato chunks.

Yum :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:21 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I chased her out and had to ventilate the place.

Why, fer cripe's sake! Better than perfume, it is ...
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:12 am

What would you call it? Chanel No. Anchovy or Evening in Anchovy or something else? I can see the full-page ads in the slicks with the scratch and sniff strips.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:16 am

Larry Greenly wrote:What would you call it? Chanel No. Anchovy or Evening in Anchovy or something else? I can see the full-page ads in the slicks with the scratch and sniff strips.

Let's just go with something classy and French. How about simply "Poissin"?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:31 am

By Jove, I think I already own a large bottle of your perfume from Vietnam. It's called Three Crabs Fish Sauce.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:What would you call it? Chanel No. Anchovy or Evening in Anchovy or something else? I can see the full-page ads in the slicks with the scratch and sniff strips.

Let's just go with something classy and French. How about simply "Poissin"?

I came up with a good pun for a label: "Baited Breath."
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:52 pm

I think Italian sausage is losing its popularity is due to fact that most operatiors these days put slices of sweet sausage on the pizza the same way they do pepperoni. In my yout (50 or so years ago) they put spoonfuls of bulk Italian sausage on the pizza which made a huge difference.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:22 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Margherita with fresh arugula thrown on at the last minute and drizzled with some very good EVOO just before serving

Yummm! I'm lucky to have a certified Neapolitan pizzeria in my neighborhood:
http://www.tuttabella.com/

They make a proscuitto and arugula pizza that is to die for ...

Dave
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:00 pm

MTBakerDave wrote:
Christina Georgina wrote:Margherita with fresh arugula thrown on at the last minute and drizzled with some very good EVOO just before serving

Yummm! I'm lucky to have a certified Neapolitan pizzeria in my neighborhood:
http://www.tuttabella.com/

They make a proscuitto and arugula pizza that is to die for ...

Dave

They have a decent, if short wine list too.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:15 pm

1) i do make the dough my self!

then i like to top caned-tomato my favotite is cirio
[img]http://s6.bilder-hosting.de/tbnl/T5MFU.jpg[/img]
good italian proschutto cotto, mozzarella die buffala DOCG, olive oil, gray sea-salt, oregano from sicily.

a piti you cant have a taste :wink:
Tsunami alias Albino
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:56 am

Tsunami is your given name?
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:05 am

Tsunami is your given name?

tsunami is the synonim i had choosen almost a decate ago, to write about wine on winespectator/forum and the old wldg, and robert parkers/forum.

when the "little" tsunami killed to many people in asia, i wanted to change my synonim, but all wine-friens on the bord didn´t want me to do, because it was my name bevore it happend.

at the wldg, i logged in with my real name albino (the albino, friend of david of swizerland, who has no time to write at the moment)

i know it sounds like tsunami is my real name, and albino my synonim, but i did it so becaues i´m alot more known as tsunami as, as albino. :wink:
Tsunami alias Albino
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:00 am

My favorite pizza (and my husband's) was from Fig's--Todd English's chain in Boston and surrounding areas. They had a white clam pizza, cooked in a wood oven. Thin crispy crust. Lotsa garlic, lots of parsley, red pepper flakes, and of course chopped clams, good olive oil and a bit of cheese. It was incredible. Much to our dismay, it was taken off the menu. If it weren't for the shallot foccacia and tuscan bean soup, there wouldn't be a reason to go there anymore. Luckily, I have successfully recreated the clam pizza recipe at home.

I can enjoy almost any kind of pizza--margherita, meatball, even Thai chicken--so I usually let those I'm sharing with get what they prefer. If I were ordering a pizza just for myself though? It would be pepperoni with double onions. I'd like to try it with the pepperoncini that Jenise suggests also! Love spicy pizzas.
Previous