Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cab Franc and Pasta with Tomato Sauce?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Cab Franc and Pasta with Tomato Sauce?

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:57 pm

I am fixing pasta with red sauce for a couple of friends this weekend. I was going to serve Chianti, but I'm wondering if Cab Franc might work with the tomato sauce? The sauce has basil and other herbs in it.

The Cab Francs include one from California and possibly a French one from Saumur.

Any thoughts?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Cab Franc and Pasta with Tomato Sauce?

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:26 pm

I ususally serve pasta/tomato sauce dishes with an Italian red like Chianti, Barbera, or Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. However, your post made me wonder about what else one might drink with Italian fare.

Personally, I've never met a cab franc that I liked, so here is someone else's opinions.

http://weingolb.blogspot.com/2006/09/an ... sauce.html
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks, Linda. The one friend is kinda a "wine geek" who enjoys austere, interesting wines, so I was wondering about an alternative.

His significant other, though, prefers rounder, fruitier wines...so I'm debating what might work for her. Although it won't work with the sauce, I may open a Central Coast Syrah for her.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:53 pm

Another thought for your wine geek friend would be a Pinotage from South Africa. We had a Serengeti that was good. I don't know how it would work with your sauce, but it was great with BBQ chicken. His S.O. probably wouldn't care for it, though. She might, however, like a light Barbera. La Sera Barbera "Il Falo" was a good choice for us. We took it to a pasta dinner with friends and it was a hit.

Good luck.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:42 pm

I don't see any problem with using the Cab Franc. It has all the characteristics of the other wines mentioned and is not native Italian. It is grown in Italy though. Personally I haven't found a Cabernet Franc that I didn't like. Remember Cheval Blanc, possibly the best wine in the world year in and year out, is Cab Franc in front of Merlot.

Salute', Carl
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Barbera would still be my fist choice. Another interesting possibility is a Central Coast pinot noir that isn't overblown (e.g., Lane Tanner); there's a distinctive tomato hint to the smell of properly-grown CC pinot and a good acidity that matches very well with tomato sauces.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:03 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:I am fixing pasta with red sauce for a couple of friends this weekend. I was going to serve Chianti, but I'm wondering if Cab Franc might work with the tomato sauce? The sauce has basil and other herbs in it.

The Cab Francs include one from California and possibly a French one from Saumur.

Any thoughts?

I had the Ballentine Cab Franc I mentioned in the other thread with some fettucine and my own (no onion, only garlic) tomato sauce the other night. The tomato sauce seemed to defeat the herbaceousness of the wine and brought out some wonderful fruity flavors which really rang my chimes considering it was a hastily thrown together meal and the bottle had been open for about 48 hours.

I say, "Do it!"
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:07 pm

Brian, you're right that the herbs in both the wine and the sauce could create a nice match or at least, they wouldn't offend each other. Within the largesse of "eat the food you want, drink the wine you like", I don't see a problem here except to point out that if the wine's very tannic, there's little in the sauce to mop those up.

Sounds like the wine choice (and perhaps a wine that you've already got and that would have a story to it) is almost more important than the perfect food match. If so, you'll be fine. If you want to go classic, well of course Chianti or barbera. And if you want to look like a genius for pairing two less than usual companions, go with Stuart's suggestion of a Santa Barbara pinot.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:45 pm

I think I'll punt on the question and open three. :lol:

My one friend loves wine, his sig other won't drink enough to be unsafe for driving, and I'm at home, so....

Domaine Fouet Saumur Champigny (Dreaded 2003)
Ruffino Chianti Classico Ducale D'Oro 2001
Cascina Val del Prete Serra De'Gatti Barbera D'Alba 2004
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:47 pm

i recomend to drink white wine with it.

it gos better with tomatosauce :wink:
Tsunami alias Albino