Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Favorite Uses of Prosciutto

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TimMc

Favorite Uses of Prosciutto

by TimMc » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:53 am

For me...proscuitto wrapped around slices of cantaloupe as an appetizer.

Yum :D

You?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Favorite Uses of Proscuitto

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:31 am

On a long roll with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, some EVOO, and a touch of balsamic.

Little bit of heaven on a roll.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:44 am

I am presently traveling through Umbria, and a couple of days ago I had a delicious appetizer with baked prunes wrapped in smoked panchetta.... YUMMMMM! Here is a picture:

Last edited by Paulo in Philly on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:48 am

Back in the day ...

Chicken, garlic and prosciutto with a simple green salad (say it, "iceberg lettuce with a salt, oil and vinegar dressing") on the side. A good crusty loaf of Italian bread is a must as well.

We'd portion a chicken into small pieces, leaving the skin on, throw it all into a pot with some olive oil, and then sauté it along with many whole cloves of garlic and chopped prosciutto. Because of the prosciutto, you really didn't need any salt. One could sprinkle in some oregano and fresh cracked, black pepper if one were of a mind. You have to keep turning this stuff so it doesn't burn. It comes out fairly dry. This also works with rabbit.

Nowadays the health conscious in our family use cubed skinless, boneless breasts for this, but that's kind of like kissing your sister.
Last edited by Gary Barlettano on Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:20 pm

TimMc wrote:For me...proscuitto wrapped around slices of cantaloupe as an appetizer.

You?

If you like that, try the melon replaced with kiwi fruit. Try to get one that's not overripe, as the acid freshness in the Kiwi works wonders with the prosciutto.

My first thought thoug, was the old (and presumably cliched, but I still like it) wrapping of the prosciutto around Cod etc. when oven baking.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:17 pm

We make a pasta side dish that uses pesto, sun dried tomatoes, cream, and prosciutto.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:34 pm

Paninni.

I like it wrapped around monkfish and sauteed, too. Heck, I'd pretty much eat prociutto wrapped around my finger.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:35 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:I am presently traveling through Umbria, and a couple of days ago I had a delicious appetizer with baked prunes wrapped in smoked prosciutto.... YUMMMMM! Here is a picture:

Man, I have some nice Oregon prunes on hand. I'll have to try this. Thanks.

rwj
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:22 am

Ian Sutton wrote:
TimMc wrote:For me...proscuitto wrapped around slices of cantaloupe as an appetizer.

You?

If you like that, try the melon replaced with kiwi fruit. Try to get one that's not overripe, as the acid freshness in the Kiwi works wonders with the prosciutto.

My first thought thoug, was the old (and presumably cliched, but I still like it) wrapping of the prosciutto around Cod etc. when oven baking.

regards

Ian

Now that sounds like a plan :D
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:23 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:We make a pasta side dish that uses pesto, sun dried tomatoes, cream, and prosciutto.

Got a recipe you're willing to share...?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:42 am

I am presently traveling through Umbria, and a couple of days ago I had a delicious appetizer with baked prunes wrapped in smoked prosciutto.... YUMMMMM! Here is a picture:

Paulo - two questions:
Is smoked proscuitto the same as speck?
What else do you think was in that appetizer? Cheese or sauce of some kind? Looks and sounds wonderful.
Howard
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:03 pm

Howard wrote:
I am presently traveling through Umbria, and a couple of days ago I had a delicious appetizer with baked prunes wrapped in smoked prosciutto.... YUMMMMM! Here is a picture:

Paulo - two questions:
What else do you think was in that appetizer? Cheese or sauce of some kind? Looks and sounds wonderful.

Howie, Hopefully nobody takes away the "o" off the end of my name for this response, but prosciutto is in my experience not smoked. As the name implies, it is air-dried. It comes in two forms, raw (crudo) which is what most of us are familiar with and cooked (cotto) which is kind of like Italian style boiled deli ham where the cooking is done in water or steam. There is no reason from the preservation aspect to smoke a prosciutto, but I guess it can and has been done. Speck, on the other hand, is German and has become part of the Italian cuisine via the north (where all the Italians are really Germans anyway). It is heavily smoked and cured and is sometimes used to replace pancetta which isn't smoked, but air-dried.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:45 pm

I know this is heresy, but I've never been a fan of the proscuitto and melon combo. What works is the saltiness of the proscuitto, and for me that does compliment the melon but I don't find the melon compliments the proscuitto. I'd rather have my melon with fleur de sel, and eat the proscuitto alone or reserve it for another use.

Favorite way to eat proscuitto? Plain, or as part of an antipasto misto.

Do love it wrapped around asparagus or a piece of fish, as Ian mentions, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:42 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Howard wrote:

Paulo - two questions:

Howie, Hopefully nobody takes away the "o" off the end of my name for this response, but prosciutto is in my experience not smoked. As the name implies, it is air-dried. It comes in two forms, raw (crudo) which is what most of us are familiar with and cooked (cotto) which is kind of like Italian style boiled deli ham where the cooking is done in water or steam. There is no reason from the preservation aspect to smoke a prosciutto, but I guess it can and has been done. Speck, on the other hand, is German and has become part of the Italian cuisine via the north (where all the Italians are really Germans anyway). It is heavily smoked and cured and is sometimes used to replace pancetta which isn't smoked, but air-dried.

It's my impression that prosciutto is unsmoked by definition. It's cured in salt and then air-dried, but if it's smoked, it's no longer prosciutto.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am

Belgium

Try this ...

by FrancescoP » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:00 pm

Prosciutto wrapped around (skinned) black figs and roasted on a pan. Served with little mascarpone and pepper on top .... really tasty!!
I wish the figs season started already!!!

Francesco
Ciao,
Francesco

Visit my site at http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:36 am

Gary is right. I made a mistake - should be smoked panchetta and not prosciutto!!!! :roll:
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Favorite Uses of Prosciutto

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:55 pm

Prosciutto and Chicken - easy to put together and great for a party - planned or not.
Line a dish with boneless, skinless chicken breasts pounded thin (or not - up to you)
Cover the chicken with a nice layer Prosciutto
Cover the Prosciutto with whole sour cream
Bake at 350 or so until done (I guess 30 or 40 minutes depending on whether the chicken is thick or thin) I like the sour cream browned around the edges.
Enjoy
That's it!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:41 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:Gary is right. I made a mistake - should be smoked panchetta and not prosciutto!!!! :roll:

I thought that I saw that in another thread. But you know, it would be killer either way.

rwj
no avatar
User

JoeArmano

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:35 am

Salem, NH

Re: Favorite Uses of Prosciutto

by JoeArmano » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:01 pm

When I was in Italy, Firenze, there was this local pub, Settimo Cielo (seventh heaven), that sold this sciacittini Settimo Cielo. It was the house special. It was simply Mozzarella cheese, Mascarpone, Tomatoes, and Proscuitto sandwhiched between what I would describe as pizza crust. The whole thing was slapped together and heated in a pizza oven, ever so slightly so that the cheese would melt a bit and it would heat up the proscuitto. I had this bad boy everyday for 3 months (@ 4euro a sandwhich it is pretty cheap).

Anyhow, the thing is very tasty (molto bene). If you are ever heading over to Firenze message me and I will give you directions.

Ciao,
-Joe A.