Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Appliance color?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Appliance color?

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:58 pm

So what color on appliances do you like or not like? I fell for the avocado trend in 1974 when I bought a washer (which died several months ago and I replaced with a white one). My dishwasher, which is great, is unfortunately, black and shows every speck of dirt and crud.

My preference is white, white, white, which never seems to go out of style.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Appliance color?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:33 pm

I did my new kitchen in white cabinets and all white appliances. I used a hardwood floor that has lots of grain and different shades from light to dark. It is lovely. I have white and off-white all through our home. It makes me feel good! I must say that our living room is a concern to most folks. I have to drag them in there and once they realize they really can walk on white carpet and sit on white couches and that I don't care if they drop food on the carpet......it cleans up. I also love glass tables and have a good amount. There is lots of texture and enough wood with beautiful grain, to make it cozy and very comfortable.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 pm

I agree Larry, white, white, white! On appliances and on vehicles! One look and you might think I apply that rule to hair too! :)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:25 pm

We did our's including the sink in stainless steel with Brazian cherry floor, black granite with blue and toupe specked counters, and honey oak cabinetry.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:38 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:So what color on appliances do you like or not like? I fell for the avocado trend in 1974 when I bought a washer (which died several months ago and I replaced with a white one). My dishwasher, which is great, is unfortunately, black and shows every speck of dirt and crud.

My preference is white, white, white, which never seems to go out of style.

White works for me, and it's the color our current stove and refrigerator wear. I never warmed up to avocado or coppertone but always kind of liked Harvest Gold. But for my own use at home, white's the color for me.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:48 am

Ancient stove and dishwasher. The refrigerator I replaced last summer and it's a modest black Frigedaire. The washer and dryer are white.

I badly need a new kitchen. :) Five magic numbers! Five magic numbers :P
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:54 am

White, usually, but my cookstove is an old Rathbone Sard in matte black with white ceramic doors and nickel plating. I'm rather fond of it even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, not to mention safety features.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:20 am

Bob Henrick wrote:I agree Larry, white, white, white! On appliances and on vehicles! One look and you might think I apply that rule to hair too! :)

My hair is white and brown; I like to say that my hair is slowly turning brown as I age.

Which, BTW, is my birthday today. You may have noticed there's a national holiday every year for my birthday. And for about three weeks each year I live with a woman two years my junior. Note: Please send all presents (cars, houses, vacation trips, cash, gourmet restaurant coupons, etc.) to my Albuquerque address.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:34 am

White for us also. We just replaced the appliances last year. I'm not a fan of stainless or dark colors in a kitchen. We like it to be bright & cheery.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:53 am

Bob Henrick wrote:I agree Larry, white, white, white! On appliances and on vehicles! One look and you might think I apply that rule to hair too! :)

Never thought of a car as an appliance you drive...but, stainless steel in the kitchen, and the color of my new car is called 'platinum'. VERY CLOSE.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:10 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Which, BTW, is my birthday today.

Happy Birthday, Larry! What will you do to celebrate?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:15 pm

Dishwasher, stove, frig, washer, dryer.... all basic white. The floors are saltillo tile in the kitchen, bath, and laundry; the cabinets are birch; exposed vigas and latillas are unfinished (quite old, so darker) pine; kitchen table and chairs are farmhouse style with white bases and birch tabletop and seats. White works with everything.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Hi Larry, Happy Birthday!!!

We're kind of mix and match here. The stove, microwave and dishwasher are black, the fridge is almond, and the washer & dryer in the basement are white.

The story behind the dishwasher is that it was a display model with a nearly undectable dent at the bottom near the floor, and it was half-price. Since my stove & microwave were black, and the dishwasher is right next to the stove, it was a no-brainer. That was the day I went into Best Buy for a $15 CD and came out with nearly $1,500 worth of appliances (washer, dryer and dishwasher) all of which needed to be replaced. Interestingly enough, I did not get a CD.
no avatar
User

Trudy Schaefer

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:56 am

Denver, Colorado

by Trudy Schaefer » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:52 pm

In my last condo, I had stainless everything. I was delighted to have them. At first. I wanted to love them--I really did. But I ended up despising them. I cook a lot, and no matter what I did or used, no matter the elbow grease--they never gleamed like I wanted them to. They always seemed to be streaky.

In our new house, we chose all black. It is a very bright, sunlit, open space with very light natural cabinets (can't remember the wood suddenly) and light oak floors, with the all black appliances and a beautiful Russian granite that is primarily black with some chips of iridescent blue.

I was fearful of the black showing every streak and speck -- but I've been delighted with how easy they are to keep clean. (Even with a 2 year old!)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:19 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Which, BTW, is my birthday today.

Happy Birthday, Larry! What will you do to celebrate?

Eat meat, drink and [censored].
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:53 pm

[quote="Trudy Schaefer"] What did you use to clean your stainless? I've found Liquid Gold works beautifully. It's definitely more work than white (which never shows any dirt) but I'm impressed that you find black easier than stainless. I would never have thought so based on the one black dishwasher I had.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov