Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

SFR: California AND Arizona freeze update

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

SFR: California AND Arizona freeze update

by Bill Spencer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:25 pm

%^(

Sunday morning, the Yuma airport recorded 25 degrees as the low temperature, shattering the alltime record for a low temperature on any date recorded since 1884 ... our remaining lemon crop and minneola tangelo crop were destroyed ...

The Central San Joaquin Valley of California is in it's fifth day of freezing temperatures ... thier lemon, minneola tangelo, and tangerine crops have been destroyed ... 80 percent of the navel orange crop has been destroyed and may eventually reach 100 percent ... over 90 percent of the navel oranges grown in the U.S. are grown in that valley ...

In Ventura County, California where the entire U.S. production of Summer lemons are grown, upwards of 50 percent of that lemon crop has been destroyed ... oranges and avocados grown in and around that area have been either severely damaged or destroyed ...

Also here in Yuma, "the Winter lettuce capitol of the world", the lettuce is blistered and burned and other vegetable crops (broccoli, caulifower, leaf lettuces, endive, escorole, cilantro, cabbage, green onions, etc.) are damaged to one degree or another ...

I have been in the produce/citrus business for 35 years and I have NEVER seen a freeze and damage of this magnitude !

Then there's the people ... growers, harvesters, packers, sales staff, truckers, buyers, wholesalers, retailers - I could go on and on ... the impact on the livelihoods of these people will be unimaginable ...

And then there's you, the consumer ...

There's really nothing more that can be said ...............................

%^(
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: SFR: California AND Arizona freeze update

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:50 pm

Consumers can go without these items if need be, but I feel terrible for the people who depend on these crops for their incomes.

:(
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Bill, can anything be salvaged by selling the fruit for juice? I would think that the fruit would be without redemption, but the juice might be viable.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:40 am

Wow, Bill. So sorry to hear about this. Another reminder that farming can be a helluva tough way to make a living.

We've been hitting 25 - 26°F each night for the last three and I think we're headed for the same tonight.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:34 am

A big bummer. We're at 11 degrees in Albuquerque. The coldest today is minus 12 degrees in Thoreau, NM.

I know they make orange juice out of frozen oranges, but what happens to lemons?