Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:01 am

On the one hand, lasagna sounds a little heavy for summer food. On the other hand, it's lasagna and I really love lasagna. Can't blame that squash guy.

I made chicken/shrimp/andouille gumbo and had the boys over on Saturday night. It came out very nicely, particularly as I managed to avoid scorching the roux this time. It didn't quite have the depth of the gumbo I had at K-Paul, though, despite my use of a very rich chicken broth and the black roux. I wonder if they didn't cheat with some beef broth at K-Paul? In any case, it was well received. Served it with plain white rice and had a tomato tart to start. The tart was nothing more than puff pastry that as baked, covered with goat cheese as soon as it was out of the oven, and then put back into the warm oven with some thick slices of perfect tomatoes. Only weird thing was that the puff pastry didn't really puff. It didn't really mess it up too much, making for a thinner, crisper base rather than a light and fluffy one, but it was still weird. There was also plenty of wine and an impromptu cognac tasting with cigars afterward. Nice evening.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Mike,

I use the chicken and andouille recipe from Paul Prudhomme's "Louisiana Kitchen" cookbook (his first book). It comes out nearly identical to what I had at K-Paul's back in 1986. In this recipe you dredge the chicken in seasoned flour and fry it, then cut it up into boneless chunks. It gets added to the gumbo rather late in the cooking. Perhaps the frying is responsible for the richer flavor. Or maybe it's the brand of andouille you used?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:59 pm

Lunch today: corn on the cob from Merwyn's farm. (We go around the house to the back 40, pick what we want, and leave money in the box.) Best yellow corn on the planet--tastes real, not too sweet or starchy.

Dinner: rack of lamb with vaudovan and coconut crust, baby broccoli, romaine salad with watermelon radishes. Might open my one and only 88 Latour.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Remembering the earthquake destruction in Amatrice, I made spaghetti with spicy tomatoes in the fashion of all'amatriciana tonight. To work in a flavor element in lieu of guanciale, which I didn't want to use becuase animal flesh, I used plenty of Italian Parma butter to saute the fresh tomatoes, onion and garlic with black pepper and dried red pepper to make a quick sauce. Also based on what was available, I dusted it with grated Parmigiano Reggiano in place of the Pecorino Romano that I didn't have. And spaghetti because I didn't have bucatini on hand. So, not really all'amatriciana at all, but a tasty, gently spicy marinara in the style of Amatrice.

amatriciana.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:54 pm

Tonight's dinner is also a cab franc blind tasting with friends, so I'm serving what I think is a Sunday kind of French family meal. A repeat of the Beef Bourgogne Nicoise I raved about a few weeks ago, but this time served over a light crispy crouton of fried bread instead of pasta. The preceding courses are some incredibly sweet cold seared Alaskan weathervane scallops with a lime-chili vinaigrette for gnoshing, and then a simple salad of various soft greens with a chive-mustard dressing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:10 pm

We had a couple of friends over for supper last night and I ended up making coq au vin blanc to serve with a couple of chenins. Served the chicken over rice with roasted broccoli on the side. My wife made lovely self-saucing lemon puddings ("pudding" being used in the English sense of the word) for dessert.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:13 pm

I've got Coq au Vin on the brain, too, Mike. Coming up soon!

Today for lunch we utilized the leftover puffy bread from yesterday's dinner and made grilled green chili and cheese sandwiches for lunch. Absolutely one of my favorite things in the world, that, and I really loaded these: three chiles per sandwich.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Dinner tonight, sticking with the Meatless Monday regime, will be a fresh tomato salad followed by that pasta dish whose name escapes me, but the one that's just pasta, olive oil, pecorino and black pepper.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:32 pm

Cacio e pepe?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:22 am

That's the one. Made it with a 'Barolo Taglione' pasta purchased at a cool Italian deli. Fantastic! Made four main course portions so I invited the neighbors over to share, and they in turn shared a rack of lamb. Great meal with friends.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:58 pm

Tonight: fresh Dungeness crab roasted Vietnamese style with lemon grass and garlic, corn fried rice, mixed oriental mushrooms and bok choy.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:49 pm

Tonight: Couscous Royale. I simmered carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, and enough garlic to merit calling it out as a vegetable in a broth spiked with butternut squash oil and ras el-hanout. Served over a very delicate batch of whole wheat couscous. Pan-seared swordfish accompanied.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Tonight: Couscous Royale. I simmered carrots, zucchini, yellow squash, red pepper, broccoli, mushrooms, and enough garlic to merit calling it out as a vegetable in a broth spiked with butternut squash oil and ras el-hanout. Served over a very delicate batch of whole wheat couscous. Pan-seared swordfish accompanied.

Where's the cheese? Can't be a 'Royale' without cheese. Samuel Jackson says so.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Tonight: a comfort-food favorite! Bangers and Mash.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:43 pm

We had our Labor Day weekend block party last night. I made hot and sour coleslaw, guacamole, and was set to grill burgers. As it turned out, there were several other bowls of guacamole and there was so much other food that we never ended up grilling the burgers. So tonight, we had burgers with guac on them and leftover coleslaw.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:21 am

One of my favorite meals. Grilled marinated loin lamb chops.Baked potato and sliced tomato fresh from the garden. Simple, but oh so good.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:We had our Labor Day weekend block party last night. I made hot and sour coleslaw, guacamole, and was set to grill burgers. As it turned out, there were several other bowls of guacamole and there was so much other food that we never ended up grilling the burgers. So tonight, we had burgers with guac on them and leftover coleslaw.

Speaking of guac, have you tried the smoked almond and blue cheese recipe I posted a few months ago yet? (Not my recipe, but one from a restaurant in New York.) It will change you!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Redwinger wrote:One of my favorite meals. Grilled marinated loin lamb chops.Baked potato and sliced tomato fresh from the garden. Simple, but oh so good.

There's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes simple is best.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:We had our Labor Day weekend block party last night. I made hot and sour coleslaw, guacamole, and was set to grill burgers. As it turned out, there were several other bowls of guacamole and there was so much other food that we never ended up grilling the burgers. So tonight, we had burgers with guac on them and leftover coleslaw.

Speaking of guac, have you tried the smoked almond and blue cheese recipe I posted a few months ago yet? (Not my recipe, but one from a restaurant in New York.) It will change you!

Haven't tried that one yet. It sounds great, though.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:03 pm

So in our last episode, as you'll recall, I made a bunch of burgers to grill for Labor Day and then did not end up grilling them. Unfortunately, they sat out for several hours while the decisions involving their fate were being made and that left me a little less than thrilled about eating them at the medium rare level required for burgers. So last night, I dumped the beef in a skillet, and sauteed it with some onions, garlic, and spices. Then I chopped up some homegrown tomatoes that had gotten a bit overly soft for caprese and simmered the whole mess until the tomatoes cooked down. I figured I could freeze this stuff and use it in pasta sauce, risotto, etc. But then I got home kinda late tonight and decided I'd use some of this to add some extra flavor to a blue box of Kraft mac and cheese. (Homemade hamburger helper, anyone?) It was pretty much exactly what you'd expect - a little taste of the mid-1960's.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:27 pm

Not wanting anything growing in my yard to go to waste, I made a cordial from the plethora of elderflowers in late spring. Fragrant flower heads soaked in water, lemon juice, lemon zest sugar and sour salt [ citric acid]. The strained cordial was terrific over fresh raspberries also from "the back 40 ". The rest went into the freezer and came out this weekend for a panna cotta parfait. A layer of elderflower cordial flavored panna sweetened with jaggery topped with a clear elderflower cordial gelee and a few late crop raspberries. Just sublime. Hoping for as large a crop next year. The birds decimate the elderberries and always regretted not getting a crop of berries but the flowers are even better. Should've made more .....
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Also on a pickle jag...garlic dilled carrots; dilled green tomatoes; dilled green beans; bread and butter cucumber; turnips; red onion; cauliflower. A few jars of each just to grab for appetizer or condiment -often as a last minute inspiration. Also endless possibilities to jazz up a salad.
Highly recommend Sean Brock's dilled green tomatoes. Cauliflowers and red onion from Einat Armody's Balaboosta cookbook.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm

CHRISTINA!!!!

I must have conjured you up. Just yesterday, really just YESTERDAY, I was thinking of you, as I contemplated whether I had the time to make the Russian layered fish-in-pastry thing whose name escapes me for an all-chardonnay tasting I'm hosting at home tonight. I determined I did not (I know, chicken!).

That made me make a note to look up your address and see what you're up to. I realize people fall away from time to time but I was just hoping that everything in your world is okay, and wanted to say so.

So there, now I said it!

What a remarkable bunch of creativity you've been up to. Just a few days ago I had my hands on a book about pickling (both in jars or quick pickles for near-term consumption) that has the word 'fermenting' or 'fermentation' in the title. I very nearly bought it, but looking at my schedule for the next few weeks which is optimum time for such activity, and in which I have no spare time, I didn't buy it thinking it would make me feel like a loser because I'd want to do all these things but logically wouldn't get around to them! Am I just rationalizing?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:57 pm

Speaking of tonight's wine tasting dinner, I'm serving courses I can do most of the work ahead for (except baking in the two cases where that's required), then just pass the food at the table. The tasting is the important thing, not my food, although I suppose it's part of what makes the 30 minute drive to my house worth it. I just can't break up the action by taking long breaks in the kitchen.

The wine theme is Chardonnay The World Over and I'm serving a vegetable-intense Mediterranean menu:

Carpaccio: golden beets, crumbled chevre, shaved fennel, shaved red onion, dill, olive oil, lemon juice
Pizza: pesto, sauteed maitake mushroom, grated/dessicated zucchini, local mozzarella, parmesan
Seafood: confit of local tuna (I butchered the whole fish myself!) on white beans with rosemary and roasted cherry toms
Tarts: puff-pastry wrapped whole large mushrooms stuffed with foie gras
Terrine: roasted ham, orange rind confit, mustard greens, molded in gelee served on brussels sprouts slaw with diced jewels of rhubarb-sumac aspic
PreviousNext