Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

If your time were suddenly short...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

If your time were suddenly short...

by Jenise » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:31 pm

...what would you allow yourself that you currently avoid? Presuming you'd feel good enough to eat, of course.

Friends and I were discussing this topic this morning. The first items of guilt that came to mind for me were popcorn DRENCHED in butter and the fat on steak I usually cut off (but secretly love).

You?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: If your time were suddenly short...

by Howie Hart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Last year, following surgery to remove almost all my large intestine, I went through chemo from April to October. The thought of my time being short never entered my mind. Two of the side effects are extreme numbness of the hands and feet, which I still have. Another side effect was my taste buds and tongue. My mouth constantly felt like I had just ate a double order of atomic chicken wings. Nothing tasted good, except candy, which I am supposed to avoid as I also struggle with type 2 diabetes. I put the diabetes on the back burner and indulged in candy and sweet snacks. For a while, it was chocolates, then it was those gummy orange slices. Wine tasted awful. Riesling was like drinking fresh squeezed lime juice. My mouth has recovered and I now enjoy all the foods I've always liked. I don't think about things like "If my time being short..." That being said, I always eat the fat on steak and prime rib. :)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:47 pm

I would probably just start going crazy with charcuterie, pork belly, and stuff like that.

And it's great to hear that you're fully back into eating and drinking, Howie!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Mostly just stop counting calories, I think. And maybe one last long trip to Europe or around the world, if I were physically and financially up to it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:20 pm

No big changes to diet but there's a few corks would be a poppin'!