The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Dorks get into Beaujolais

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: The Dorks get into Beaujolais

by Jenise » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:16 pm

All wines served blind.

2012 Evening Land Vineyards Gamay Noir Seven Springs Vineyard Eola - Amity Hills
My bottle. Light-med color and body. Pleasant but on the whole simple, with linear cherry notes and a touch of bay leaf, such that blind tasters guessed new world because it lacked the complexity of authentic Beaujolais. Leftovers showed better two days later so no hurry to drink up, but overall this has changed significantly to the downside since last bottle in 2015 so why wait.

2014 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Côte de Brouilly
Good mixed red berry fruit, but at the moment more about structure and texture than fruit. Very good.

2014 Domaine Jean-Michel Dupré Beaujolais-Villages Vignes de 1940
Light-med body with raspberry and thyme notes. An extremely pleasant Bojo for $13 shelf price.

2014 Domaine des Pothiers Côte Roannaise Numero Six Gamay Saint Romain
Bigger bodied with denser texture, tannins and spice than the Villages served immediately prior, but at approximately the same price retail. Impressive QPR.

2015 Leah Jorgensen Cellars Tour Rain Oregon Red Blend
Dusty with douglas fir green notes, yet the fruit's solidly sweet and ripe like a bowl of loganberries. More like cab franc than gamay--and no wonder, it's only 40% gamay and the rest is CF. An intriguing new world vin rouge. I liked this a lot.

2014 Domaine du Vissoux / Pierre-Marie Chermette Moulin-à-Vent Les Trois Roches Gamay
Mild mint and violet nose on fleshy blueberry and pomegranate midpalate with a bit of vitamin B in the very mineral finish. More lush with deceptive structure--a classic '14. Excellent.

2014 Joseph Drouhin Morgon Hospices de Belleville Gamay
Floral nose with cherries, strawberries, and considerable earth on the palate. This was at a gamay tasting, and before it was unveiled we accused the owner of bringing a pinot noir ringer. Specifically, it reminded me a lot of the basic Drouhin from Oregon. So how interesting that it turned out to be gamay but from famed Burgundy producer Joseph Drouhin. Excellent.

2012 Jean Foillard Morgon Cuvée Corcelette Gamay
My bottle. Mildly cloudy appearance. Raspberry with a touch of guava and passion fruit, complex spice and acidity. Beautiful and should hold here, but I don't think it will improve. Two WOTN votes and 2nd place for anyone who spent their WOTN vote elsewhere.

2012 Guy Breton Morgon Vieilles Vignes Gamay
Blind tasted. Silky berry fruit with a distinct cinnamon note. Seemed similar to but younger and fresher than the wine served immediately before it, which was also a '12. Excellent.

2014 Domaine Laurent Gauthier Morgon Côte du Py Vieilles Vignes Gamay
Gorgeous dark ruby color. Excellent body with clean, bold fruit and assertive tannins. Based on vintage generalizations we mistook this for a '15. Excellent; will age beautifully.

2015 Brick House Gamay Noir Ribbon Ridge
Mildly cloudy. Simple flavor closer to tomato juice than berries with astringent acidity. No one liked it. Very disappointing as this is such a fine producer of pinot noir. That said, it's not unlike the '13 or '14 Bob and I had in Oregon last October. We were at a wine bar open to the street, and a parade was about to start so we decided to kick back and watch. I grabbed this off the shelf and had them open it for me. I had thought it was a pinot. OOPS.

2015 Seven Springs Estate Gamay Noir Eola - Amity Hills
What an ugly label--what were they thinking? The '12 I had that led off this tasting had an elegant round silver badge of a label. This had a large grass-green label with simple lettering, like a generic, store brand detergent. What's inside isn't much better: pale ruby, stark acidity, simple and awkward.

2010 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Griffe du Marquis Gamay
My bottle. Deep purple-garnet color--darkest of the 14 gamays we had and the most complex. Incredible nose of star anise and other spices with blueberry and sarsparilla on the palate. Lively acidity and sturdy tannins--many good years ahead. Outstanding; a real showstopper. Six WOTN votes.

2007 Louis Jadot Moulin-à-Vent Clos de Rochegrès Château des Jacques Gamay
Fairly mature. Notes of Asian plum sauce, soy, and earth with flecks of funk, white pepper and tar not unlike an old St. Joseph. Liked this a lot; interesting to know a gamay can go here
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

Re: WTN: The Dorks get into Beaujolais

by Patchen Markell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Great notes, thanks!

The Leah Jørgenson note is especially interesting: I just looked on her website and saw that she also makes a vin blanc de Cabernet Franc. Is that customarily done in the Loire? Anyhow, I'm not sure it's the best use for Cab Franc grapes but I'd be interested to try it -- as well as the blend you note here!

(And, ugh, you're right about the Evening Land/Seven Springs label. Looks like they've redesigned across the board, to make the Seven Springs the leading part of their brand. Luckily, they're not all emerald-green.)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:56 pm

All the guys are kind of nuts about Leah's stuff. And apparently, about Leah too which never hurts--she's apparently quite a cutie.

It was a good tasting. It reminded me how much I love Beaujolais. It's probably the wine, more than any other, that I could literally drink every day and never get bored. At any price; that it's so cheap just makes my negligence more of a crime. I'm going to search out more of the ageable wines like the Roilette.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Oy, god forbid that people judge Leah Jørgenson or Kelley Fox or any other woman who makes wine by, you know, the wine she makes. (Not saying that in criticism of your comment, but rather of the gross parts of [American?] wine culture you're reporting about.)

Anyhow, I didn't mean to slight the actual Beaujolais portion of your note! I'm going to keep an eye out for the Roilette for sure...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Oy, god forbid that people judge Leah Jørgenson or Kelley Fox or any other woman who makes wine by, you know, the wine she makes.

I know; that's why I mentioned it. I should have included this emoticon: :roll:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:23 pm

Seems Cutie is right!! Have to visit asap :D .
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Really, Bob?

I think we're done here.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:33 am

That's a lot of gamay!

Jenise wrote:It reminded me how much I love Beaujolais. It's probably the wine, more than any other, that I could literally drink every day and never get bored.

Interesting. I do love Beaujolais for the various ways it communicates 'joy'. But am not sure it is less likely than any other wine to make me bored. I think that can happen with any wine. Sometimes I want more finesse (Burgundy), sometimes I want more power (syrah). Sometimes I want white wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:31 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting. I do love Beaujolais for the various ways it communicates 'joy'. But am not sure it is less likely than any other wine to make me bored. I think that can happen with any wine. Sometimes I want more finesse (Burgundy), sometimes I want more power (syrah). Sometimes I want white wine.

Certainly. I too love a wide array--it's one of the drivers behind having a large and comprehensive cellar. But that old desert island question--if you only had one. For me Beaujolais might deliver the most satisfaction on the most levels, from dark and inky ageables to light and refreshing young village wines that also drink well chilled.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Patchen: Not sure what a vin blanc of Cabernet Franc wd look like or taste like..I have seen and tasted a white Pinor Noir made by Heart and Hands here in the Finger Lakes and it was underwhelming..Not sure what they were aiming for as their regular Pinot Noir is terrific..Out on Long Island's East End, a number of wineries are making very impressive and tasty Dry Rose from Cab Franc.
Jon
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Jenise: what great lineup and impressive tasting..A lot of my favorite producers..Haven't bought or tasted any gamay or Bojo in a while, makes me wanna revisit..While t is unlikely that I can find some of those older wines, makes me wanna try to find some of the 2014's
Jon
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:28 pm

So fun! So much bang for the buck in Beaujolais.

My one time with the 2015 Brick House was on tap that the Valley Commissary. It was a brett BOMB! This coming from someone who is generally not overly bothered by a little brett.

I have never heard of Seven Springs Estate. Interesting.

I really enjoyed that 2014 Vissoux.

Never heard of Leah Jorgensen. Better not comment, other than I look forward to tasting the wine.

Peace,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Patchen: Not sure what a vin blanc of Cabernet Franc wd look like or taste like..I have seen and tasted a white Pinor Noir made by Heart and Hands here in the Finger Lakes and it was underwhelming..Not sure what they were aiming for as their regular Pinot Noir is terrific..Out on Long Island's East End, a number of wineries are making very impressive and tasty Dry Rose from Cab Franc.

I've had some excellent Cab Franc whites from the Loire--will buy any I find. They're not common, but they're out there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:I have never heard of Seven Springs Estate. Interesting.

It's the Evening Land people rebranding themselves from what I understand.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:50 am

Jenise wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:I have never heard of Seven Springs Estate. Interesting.

It's the Evening Land people rebranding themselves from what I understand.

Oh. Interesting. It has been and interesting road for this famed vineyard.

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 am

So new name, same people, same high prices?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:51 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:So new name, same people, same high prices?

My info would be spotty, just gleaned from conversations, but I think there have been a lot of changes. I am not sure at the top level. To me it seemed like they got a few black eyes in the early days. I for one have never purchased or even tasted their wines. I thought they had adjusted their prices. Might still be high, but not like when they released their first chardonnay at $100+ :roll:

Jason
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:09 pm

All in all it won't matter, as I do not like the wines at all. I have tried them on my own, and in blind tastings, and always rank them near or at the bottom.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:53 pm

The new label:

SevenSprings.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Are they still using the Evening Land lable as well?

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Apparently not, except to the extent that Evening Land appears at the bottom. The new labels for the pinots is just like this except different color (I saw a white one on the Anden, don't know if they're using the whole rainbow.)
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 pm

They are still using the Anden name?

Happy to hear that Walter Scott is getting 7 Springs fruit. Now we just need a decent vintage.

J
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:00 am

Jason Hagen wrote:They are still using the Anden name?

Yup, apparently so. Saw it on Cellar Tracker and a pic of the label; not seen it in the marketplace.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:40 pm

Nice tasting. I am (slightly) surprised that only the Brun seems possibly a bit closed in the '14s, as I have had couple that seem to be shutting (but not the same wines).
Next