Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Last night's episode of Top Chef (Spoiler Alert)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Last night's episode of Top Chef (Spoiler Alert)

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 am

Agonizing turn of events! Cliff was one of my favorites, but I think the producers made the right decision.

Oh, and a note about Sam and Ilan: I had the two guys completely mixed up. It's SAM, not Ilan, that I've been a fan of. I guess he's just so much more exotic looking to me, I gave him the more exotic name.

What did you guys think of their food? The judge's panned Cliff's dish, but conceptually speaking I thought Marcel's dish was a boring cliche (salmon and beets is so overdone, and I don't even agree that it's an intuitive combination).

Oh, and will someone who understands candy-making explain to me why Elia's chocolate would have worked out better had she not tempered it? She identified tempering as the mistake, so I'm taking her word for it that same was the problem.
Last edited by Jenise on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Latest episode of Top Chef: Cliff goes home

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:34 pm

ahhhhhhhhh....I had recorded this episode to watch tonight.

Can I suggest that maybe "Spoiler Alert" is put into future titles instead of noting the outcome? thanks.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: Latest episode of Top Chef: Cliff goes home

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:41 pm

I guess I spoke too soon when I said Cliff has always maintained his cool when it comes to Marcel. Too bad...but he went to far. That is no way for adults and professionals to act.

Like a lot of Marcel's dishes, most of them are visually appealing...he needs to work more on taste. I find myself, more & more, pulling for Marcel because he has become such an underdog. Especially in the face of the way the others are treating him.

But I do think Sam showed quite a bit of class when he helped Marcel serve even though Marcel wouldn't help him.

In the end, though...Marcel will probably find out the hard way that the "Lone Gunman" act won't serve him very well. Especially if he ends up having to choose a team (to cook with him) from the other chefs who have lost out. If he makes it that far.

Richard

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Last night's episode of Top Chef (Spoiler Alert)

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 pm

Oh darn, Bill. I am SOOO sorry. I only put that in the title to distinguish that thread/episode from future threads about other episodes that I'll probably start. I've never had/used TIVO or anything so in my world you watch it when it's on or you don't, I forget that others do otherwise.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks Jenise. I'm the guy that covers his ears and sings lalalalalala when previews of 24 comes on. :lol:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:18 pm

We have similar tastes. 24's the only other show we watch. In fact, it's why we bought a DVR this week. Had to be out Sun and Mon nights, and missing the first four hours--unthinkable!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:06 am

Cliff: too much to drink, too much dislike for Marcel and the line was crossed...As I said to my son, if they were friends and this happened, I think the outcome would have been different..but they weren't friendS. the Producers did the right thing.

That said, Marcel's was more boringthan cliff's, but it seemed to methat cliff's wasn'texecutied all that well...some was def. too rare, for example...

Marcel is an ass. I loved that Sam said he didn't want to help but that he was totally not that guy. I can relate.

Now I think Sam will take it all...he has the touch. Loves food..

b
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:43 am

I'm with Barb on this one. Sam seems to have the poise and touch to win this. Elan might suprise me in the end though. Elia will fold under a final challenge where she would have to run a staff and I doubt many people would give Marcel their best effort.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:05 pm

I agree: Sam has the package. Good cook, good judgement and leadership qualities. Elia lacks judgement, Marcel lacks leadership, and Ilan I just don't know as I said before (though I had the names switched and said Sam).

Sam's also the best looking [she said, becoming totally superficial]. Well, now that Cliff's gone, anyway.