Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Forgot to pay attention to the wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Forgot to pay attention to the wine

by John Treder » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:50 pm

They had sand dabs at Santa Rosa Seafood today, and I'm a fool for sand dabs so I bought one.
I made a fake "primavera" sauce with oyster mushrooms, garlic, green onion, diced fresh tomato, butter and white wine. Fake because I had to use dry basil. It's been raining too much to get any basil going.
Pan-broiled the sand dab, squirted a bit of Meyer lemon on it and served it alongside cappellini and the sauce.
I opened a bottle of Dry Creek Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc '15 to go with it, but the sand dab was so good that I forgot to notice the wine. The fake primavera sauce was ok, but really needs the fresh basil.
The combination suited me, and maybe it will help terminate the record rainfall. We're now an inch over the previous record set in 1903. Records here only go back to 1901.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Forgot to pay attention to the wine

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:28 am

Sounds good, John. Maybe try tarragon instead of basil; it dries a little more true-to-self.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:35 am

Must have been a good sized sand dab! In restaurants, I've seen them quite small, maybe 3 or 4 to a serving.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Yes, it was pretty big for a sand dab. 2/3 of a pound, $6 at the store. From Monterey Bay; they seem to be bigger there.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:34 pm

Our regular haunt here will sometimes have fried sand dabs on the menu. My wife is ecstatic when that happens as they are the closest thing she can get here to the fresh Great Lakes perch that's served fried every Friday at every good restaurant/bar in Wisconsin.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child