The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: Sauvignon Blanc from NZ.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Open Mike: Sauvignon Blanc from NZ.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:55 am

The Paretai simply flew out of the store after this evenings tasting!! #37 in the Top WS 100, and I can see why!

WTN: `05 Matua Valley Paretai Sauv Blanc, Marlborough.

Brief notes as only one glass available but will try again tomorrow. Nose was citrus, gooseberry, sweated arm-pits, grass, passion fruit, brief hint of asparagus. On the palate, oily, gooseberry,minerally, zingy acidity. Long finish, almost some creamy hints and very elegant. Just what I expected, buy, buy, buy.

Cost is $34 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Kevin C

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Broussard, LA

by Kevin C » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:25 pm

I love NZ savvies, but picked this one up last night at Publix for a quick take home to go with a dinner of Sauteed Shrimp and Artichoke Hearts in a Lemon Butter Caper Sauce over Capellini

2006 Douglas Green Sauvignon Blanc, Cape of Good Hope South Africa

Very pale straw color with aromas of lemongrass, green peppers, grapefruit and a little lime. Refreshing squirt of acidity - lime and grapefruit and a bit stony - a nice balance. Cut through the butter in the sauce and stood up well to the artichoke hearts. At $9.99, a good pick up from the supermarket shelves and one I'd buy again.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:45 am

Welcome to the forum Kevin. Notes like that, you can stick around!!! There are some very good savees from SA and I am tempted to open one too.
Where abouts are you?
Your notes about artichokes was interesting, must remember that.
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:48 am

I had a 2005 Craggy Range Sauvignon Blanc yesterday at lunch...let me tell you why I liked the wine as much as I did.

It is a proper wine, not an attempt at a grapeberry, goosefruit and capsicum infused adult beverage. It was balanced, crisp, precise and focused, the alcohol seemed to be in the 13% range and it provided a lift to the grilled shrimp with tomato and corn-cakes that I was eating. My overall impression was of restraint and breed, not the more common over-exuberance and over-the-top aromatic assault. I didn't get the impression that I was drinking a wine that was an assemblage of many different wines...this was one wine, harmonious, clean and lovely.

Good stuff it was. I'll order it again.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:17 pm

Robert Jones wrote:I had a 2005 Craggy Range Sauvignon Blanc yesterday at lunch...

Which one, Robert? Craggy Range make at least four, Avery, Old Renwick and Goosedown from Marlborough and Te Muna from Martinborough.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Richmond VA

by Robert Jones » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:22 pm

Sue,

It was a Martinborough wine.

Best - RJ
no avatar
User

John Mills

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 am

richmond, va

by John Mills » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:22 pm

I recently enjoyed a bottle of 2005 Alan Scott. Crisp but not electric on the tongue. Nice fruit. A hint of tart, but opens up nicely.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:32 pm

I have been eyeing the Scott so thanks for the TN there, John.
no avatar
User

Kevin C

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Broussard, LA

by Kevin C » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi Bob! I'm a former regular who got sidetracked by work and Katrina recovery duties. I live in Cajun Country - Broussard, LA and wasn't effected by the storm myself, but had many family members who were. I haven't been in since the forums changed, but used to be a regular even on chat. Looking forward to returning to the group!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:59 pm

Kevin C wrote:Hi Bob! I'm a former regular who got sidetracked by work and Katrina recovery duties. I live in Cajun Country - Broussard, LA and wasn't effected by the storm myself, but had many family members who were. I haven't been in since the forums changed, but used to be a regular even on chat. Looking forward to returning to the group!

Welcome back, Kevin! It's great to see you here.
no avatar
User

John Mills

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 am

richmond, va

by John Mills » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Bob,

Let me know what you think of it...
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:37 pm

Had the 2005 Dog Point SB last night at a dinner with our tasting group. This one's by a couple of guys who used to work for Cloudy Bay and decided they were spending too much time in meetings and not enough in winemaking. They use 100% indigenous yeast. I think this one's designated "Block 94" but I didn't write it down.

Very interesting and intense wine. Lots of cat pee, some citrus, no grassiness on the nose. Very dry and minerally texture with tart citrus, leesiness, and a "dry branch" flavor that I don't think is due to oak. Great length and bone dry on the finish. I think this one has a lot of age left in it. Very nice stuff.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:55 am

Sam.

I am bumping this up for you as you were looking for this OM.

Mike.

There are a few out there with that leesy character. I think almost creamy at times but don`t tell Sue that!!! I have a Drylands I should open up.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:31 am

Bob,

I will copy my note into this thread. If the stand alone note needs to be deleted to prevent cross-posting you are free to do so.

2006 Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

Color: Light straw

Nose: Pronounced nose of citrus, hay, and good ol’ cat pee.

Taste: Silky texture. Concentrated citrus, lots of grapefruit and a crisp minerality. Enough vegetal character to make it interesting without overwhelming the fruit. Long dry finish. Probably the most powerful of the Crawford SB’s I have tasted. Definitely a good wine that I can recommend. I would like to taste it side by side with the ’00, my favorite Crawford vintage to date.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:11 am

Sam Platt wrote:Bob,

I will copy my note into this thread. If the stand alone note needs to be deleted to prevent cross-posting you are free to do so.

I've had this wine twice in the past 10 days, most recently in the context of a tasting of 4 '06 NZ SBs as part of our annual cull party. Here are my notes:

2006 Babich Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
nose: intense notes of tropical fruit and gooseberry
palate: a reprise of the nose, with a slightly herbal quality added in

2006 Villa Maria Private Bin Sauvignon Blanc
n: gooseberries and minerals
p: somewhat dilute after the Babich; grapefruit

2006 Matua Valley Sauvignon Blanc
n: muted, grapefruit and grass
p: more dilute than the Babich or Kim Crawford, mostly grapefruit

n: powerful, tropical fruit, grapfruit
p: grapefruit and gooseberry, grass

I've had a number of previous years of the Babich, including an '01 tasted at the winery. None of them have come close to what I got from the '06. Only the Kim Crawford came close, but of the two I'd say the Babich had a bit more refinement to it.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:21 pm

2005 Bedford Road Estate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc $16.99
13% alcohol
Clear, pale gold liquid.
Pungent, edgy nose of lemon, grapefruit and lemongrass. Lots of fruit and lots of acid on the palate. I liked the way it paired with a chicken/grape/artichoke salad with artichoke-parmesan dressing. Probably for acid lovers more than acid avoiders. Has a nice crispness that wakes up the taste buds.
Bedford Road Estate lies in the heart of Wairau Valley near Renwick, Marlborough (near Cloudy Bay property) with gravel soils of the lower river terrace and long cool autumn days.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:44 pm

JC (NC) wrote:2005 Bedford Road Estate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Another new label to me. Found their website and looks like they only export to the US and the UK.... no mention of being able to buy the wine in NZ.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:55 pm

JC, I have been buying the Crossings by the case since the 2002 vintage and paying $9 per before a 10% case discount. It is a really nice wine, and I am hopeful to get a case of the 2006 when it arrives. I usually try several whites each spring to decide on my summer whites, and the Crossings makes it every year.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Thanks Sue and Bob H. for your replies. I had posted on Bedford Road Estate S.B. once before (they also make a Pinot Noir) and I think at that time Sue Courtney said it may only be for export. Another website says the estate comes under Riversleigh Estate if she is familiar with that name. Bruce Stapleton is one of the partners (from England originally) and a Scottish farmer, the other partner, spends two months a year in New Zealand to supervise the vines.
Bob H., I will have to see if the Crossings S.B. is available in Raleigh. I would like to buy a few bottles. I still have on hand a 2005 or 2006? Kim Crawford S.B. which I will open in the next week probably and see if my impressions match others that have already posted. I have liked Kim Crawford S.B. in past vintages.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Good notes and info, JC. I think there has been previous mention of Bedford Rd, maybe one of my preambles!! This wine is not available in AB as yet.

I have the `05 Drylands coming up soon, there are other recent notes here I remember.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 pm

Saw and brought my first `06 SB today, the Shingle Peak. Hope it is as good as the `05.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:37 am

I am a retailer out here in Oregon and I got to visit NZ last June. I have been asking my local Henry Wine rep if they could get hold of some of the St. Clair SB Wairau Reserve 2006. Currently all they carried here was the Vicars Choice and the Marlborough. So this week they got some samples of some other St. Clair wines, including the Wairau Reserve. For me it was THE best SB I have ever tasted. What stuck me most was the level of intensity and depth of fruit. Style wise it was like Cloudy Bay but kicked up another notch. Retail price would be about $24. We are gradually seeing more 2006 wines come into the market, including some Pinot Noirs such as Delta $20 and Greenstone Point $10.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:44 am

St Clair?? You lucky so and so!!! Its around in BC but all sold out, I am told. No agent in Alberta, possibily none left for us lumberjacks.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:33 am

Sue Courtney wrote:
JC (NC) wrote:2005 Bedford Road Estate Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Another new label to me. Found their website and looks like they only export to the US and the UK.... no mention of being able to buy the wine in NZ.

Interesting question on another forum Sue, inquiring if there is more residual suger in NZ Sauv Blanc. Overall, can`t say I have noticed that. Any comment?
PreviousNext