Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seafood bliss

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Seafood bliss

by Jenise » Fri May 19, 2017 3:27 pm

Yesterday, fed up with being housebound, I insisted to Bob that we combine a long drive with some gatherer-type errands. I really only had two missions: 1) pick up a bottle of The Botonist Gin for a neighbor (in the next county, it's not available in ours) and bring home a nice piece of fish for dinner.

In spite of our marine location nice pieces of fish aren't all that easy to come by here, as I've complained here loudly in the past. But there's one little shining light: a place called Skagit's Own Fish Market. Skagit is another county and this store about 50 miles aways; I live in Whatcom County. The store is tiny, and more a fish and chip restaurant and ice cream purveyor (on the edge's of Skagit's Tulip fields, so attracting that type of crowd) than a store, but there's a small fresh fish counter with a selection of, usually, four or five fresh things, and yesterday there were even more. Ling cod, fresh WA salmon, sable fish, halibut, ahi, swordfish, petrale sole just delivered by the fisherman and not even in the small case yet, and one piece of native, not farm-raised, Columbia River steelhead, belly end not tail. A dream piece of fish. Giddy, I bought the steelhead for dinner and the petrale for today's lunch.

Damn that steelhead was good. What a rare treat. I fileted it, dusted it with semolina flour, pan-seared it and served it under a layer of melted leeks seasoned with butter and white pepper. A couple slices of zucchini on the side and a piece of lemon finished the dish, which we had with a perfectly aged 06 red Burgundy from Chandon de Briailles. Absolute perfection.

Wish I could buy fish like that all the time.

Today's petrale will be dusted with cornmeal and served with steamed spinach. But boo hoo, no wine, much as a Chablis is called for. It's lunch and we've got work to do. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Seafood bliss

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 pm

Sounds lovely. Are CdB '06s really ready to drink now?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Seafood bliss

by Jenise » Sat May 20, 2017 11:31 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Sounds lovely. Are CdB '06s really ready to drink now?

The Ille de Verglesses is, perfectly so. Not 'youthful', just in that heavenly state of complete secondary development where it's all about tea, leather, potpourri and all that stuff. Or at least that was the case with the bottle we opened, and it made sense based on where two other bottles were over the last two years.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov