Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Ground meat, chopped sliced grated vegetables, onion, celery, carrot, green beans, cabbage, a packet of chicken noodle soup, simmered together. And the sooo exotic finishing touch.....canned bean shoots and soy sauce . Wow.

Sounds authentic! Authentically Aussie, not Chinese, but I remember as a kid eating chicken chow mein that would be unrecognizable to anyone even 1/16th Chinese. :)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:07 am

Oh yeah, definitely authentic Aussie, suburban, working class mum food! And nothing wrong with that. Hey Jeff, if I can get the original recipe from my mum I'll post it. Maybe you could make a vat of it for pumpkin one of those weeks when you run away from home. :x :twisted:
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:32 am

I seem to do more interesting things with leftovers!
So I picked up a cloth on the bench and... found two sheets of my pasta left over and left to dry.
Of course they were dry and broke up as I picked it up. Looked actually fun, so I roughly broke it all up into pieces 2-6 mm, cooked them and mixed the with a cup of leftover spicy tomato vegetable soup and sautéed sliced mushrooms and the grated parmigiana that was lurking as well. Grilled a steak and sliced it over the top. Yummmm
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:03 am

I think you recreated a famous Italian pasta that's made by breaking up dried pasta sheets into irregular pieces, Barb! I wish I could think of the name of it right now.
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:14 am

Robin, the name is "maltagliati". dried pasta dough broken into pieces of different size.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:52 am

Heinz Bobek wrote:Robin, the name is "maltagliati". dried pasta dough broken into pieces of different size.

Thanks, Heinz! "Malfatti" kept coming to mind, but that's Sicilian and more like misshapen gnocchi.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:45 am

Yes, maltagliati is what happens to the crumbs at the bottom of a box of lasagna!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Thai green curry tonight to go with the hot weather.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:13 pm

We had the older daughter and her new boyfriend over on Saturday night, so I made boeuf bourguignon using a streamlined version of a James Peterson recipe. Had that with mashed potatoes and roasted cauliflower. We had plenty left for dinner last night. Tonight, the younger daughter decided she wanted to roast up some chicken, so we're doing that and having it with leftover mashed potatoes (I made way too much of that on Saturday) and some quick fried shishito peppers for something green.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:35 am

Fired up the grill again. Similar menu: swordfish, shrimp kabobs, filet mignon.

(Yes, I know, I know. I was making a mini Surf 'n' Turf for myself -- half portion kabobs, half portion filet -- but, gee whiz, is that a dull steak.)

My next effort, however, I think is going to be octopus. My fish store sells 2-3# bundles, already pounded. So I think I just need a red wine marinade and charcoal.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:28 am

Whatever plans I had (not many :oops: ) went out the window when friends dropped by for a coffee after a weekend fishing trip. They kindly shared their bounty with us.
So we had a lovely whle bream baked with fennel followed the next night when we did fish tacos with the flathead fillets. Sooo good to have really fresh fish.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:58 am

Dinner last night was Thai mahogany fire noodles. This batch came out particularly incendiary.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:35 am

With friends coming for Christmas in July in three weeks, it is time to get cracking.
So today I made a traditional Christmas pudding, cooked and ready to reheat on the day,
When t will be turned out, presented flaming at the table and served with brandy custard.
Also prepped the dough for Latvian spice cookies which will rest for a week or so and then be rolled, cut and baked.
And the butcher has orders fo get me some pheasants.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:27 am

Wow, that's going to be an amazing dinner.

Tell me about the dough for the Latvian spice cookies. I've not heard of a dough that needed to rest for a week--why does this? What happens? Does it ferment?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Yes - I am also curious about that.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:22 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Yes - I am also curious about that.

I am not an expert baker, so I couldn't get into the chemistry details. But I did recently learn about traditions in Poland (and elsewhere in Northern and Eastern Europe) of letting dough age for weeks, months or even years before making Christmas cookies/gingerbread and the like. It blew my mind, but you can probably find more info on the internet.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:36 am

It is just a cookie dough with heaps of spices ( I'll post it) and it is about developing the flavours really, no fermentation involved, no actual time frame it can be left for months ( down here in the fridge) It just develops flavour and I find it good to make a big batch of dough and grab bits to bake off a tray or two when I need, have time or the oven is on.
Or i imagine if you have streams of visitors over the festive season.
As a Christmas cookie from the colder climes probably no issues with it going off :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:32 am

Barb Downunder wrote:It is just a cookie dough with heaps of spices ( I'll post it) and it is about developing the flavours really, no fermentation involved, no actual time frame it can be left for months ( down here in the fridge) It just develops flavour and I find it good to make a big batch of dough and grab bits to bake off a tray or two when I need, have time or the oven is on.
Or i imagine if you have streams of visitors over the festive season.
As a Christmas cookie from the colder climes probably no issues with it going off :mrgreen:

Does it have eggs in it? I'm guessing no--they'd be the ingredient that needs a preservative if left for months.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Last night we had a wonderful risotto. I'd planned something else earlier in the day but by dinner time was preferring to skip meat, and I had fresh maitakes on hand. So those with a handful of basil and the finishing touch of pistou and truffle oil drizzles made a pretty splendid dinner. Risotto's becoming my fallback--I've probably made more of them in the last year than I did in the prior ten years combined.

Today, on the other hand, is meat intensive. I'm having 14 people to dinner, it's a planning meeting for the next neighborhood wine tasting. To draw volunteers I said, "And dinner's on me." More volunteered than I expected. The meal's going to be pretty simple: a help-yourself salmon carpaccio using store-bought lox-type salmon layered with onions and capers soaked in lemon juice for a first course, and a giant platter of arugula seasoned with parm, lemon juice and EVOO, tiled over with sliced roast pork loin. Pickled radishes, cold pesto green beans and fingerling potato salad on the side. A relatively easy meal for a hot summer day. Again, guests will just help themselves.

I was actually a little flummoxed on the timing for the pork since I also have to be conducting the meeting, then it dawned on me: sous vide! They (four packets about 1.5 - 2.0 lbs each) are 'cooking' right now and will be ready when I am--I just have to open and slice.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Jenise wrote:I was actually a little flummoxed on the timing for the pork since I also have to be conducting the meeting, then it dawned on me: sous vide! They (four packets about 1.5 - 2.0 lbs each) are 'cooking' right now and will be ready when I am--I just have to open and slice.

Nice use of the sous vide to solve a kitchen problem.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:19 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Nice use of the sous vide to solve a kitchen problem.

YES! I'd never looked at this device as a timing solution, just a way to create certain textures. But it sure was handy.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Tonight: veal scallopini in a wine sauce on roasted zucchini spears.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:39 am

Jenise wrote:Tonight: veal scallopini in a wine sauce on roasted zucchini spears.

Very traditional-sounding, La Jenisa.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jenise wrote:Tonight: veal scallopini in a wine sauce on roasted zucchini spears.

Very traditional-sounding, La Jenisa.

And easy and summery. Also, a vegetable-intensive dish wherein a little meat goes a long way. Four ounces each was a perfect portion, where we typically eat 8-12 ounces each.
PreviousNext