The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Who enjoys Lemberger?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Who enjoys Lemberger?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Fox Run, of Finger Lakes fame, has always caught my attention especially their Riesling and Cab Franc so last year I picked up the Lemberger. I was not sure what to expect so here are my thoughts. I feel sure that there will be a discussion after this post.

2013 Fox Run Vineyards Lemberger, NY Finger Lakes.

Good natural cork, 12% alc, $26 Cdn, opened one hour, serve slightly chilled initially.

Very nice color with some reddish tones and light strawberry rim. On the nose dark berries, mineral, some pepper. Herbs after an hour..thyme? Strawberry on day 2 and still some oak influence.
Initial entry thoughts are dry, earthy, not that ripe (how was the vintage). There is quite a mineral element on the finish.."to me bitter" from across the table. Not quite as austere on day 2 but am not sure about Lemberger typicite here? Could be some pomegranite too, also some boysenberry.

Tom Hill talks about Blaufrankisch ..earthy loamy character. I see that Fox Run also has a Cab Franc/Lemberger blend, that would be of interest.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Who enjoys Lemberger?

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 pm

I don't always drink Lemberger, but when I do, it's called Blaufränkisch.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 am

Lemberger has caught on in NY State with a few from the Niagara Escarpment, which begs the question: "Why aren't they growing it across the river in the Niagara Peninsula of Ontario?" A friend of mine, Don DeMaison, owns Long Cliff Winery near me and has been growing and making it for at least 10 years. He makes a solid version of it and generously sells me grapes every year, including Lemberger. The latest version I made is from 2013, which I aged in a near neutral barrel for 2 years. I like it. Kinda like Pinot Noir, not as complex, but a bit deeper color and a touch of black pepper on the finish. I like it. 7 years ago I hosted Lemberger tasting. Here is the link: http://forums.wineloverspage.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34657&p=292331
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 am

I have greatly enjoyed wines from Austrian Blaufränkisch for their peppery fruitiness at an entry level. Some people claim that it is capable of great things in a Burgundian style. I have been unconvinced by some very expensive examples from Moric but I don't think that either the grape or the terroir were to blame, the culprit being over-oaking. I can't get them here except by web order.

I have no idea how the grape adapts to conditions outside Austria and Germany.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 am

I like a little Lemberger every now and then, and am fortunate to live in the Pacific NW, where the variety has been treated respectfully. Early on, and still today, Kiona over in the Columbia/Red Mountain area, was the Lemberger of choice.

Way, way back---before WA exploded on the market---Covey Run made an inexpensive, simple but tasty Lemberger for grocery store shelves. It sold pretty well, and had some fans.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Bob, I know you read French so you may enjoy this article which makes great claims for Blaufränkisch/Lemberger https://les5duvin.wordpress.com/2016/06 ... e-de-lest/ .
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Hoke wrote:Way, way back---before WA exploded on the market---Covey Run made an inexpensive, simple but tasty Lemberger for grocery store shelves. It sold pretty well, and had some fans.

I remember tasting that wine in 1999 at the winery.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm a fan.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)