The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kanonkop Pinotage 2003

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Kanonkop Pinotage 2003

by Jay Labrador » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:12 pm

There's a bit of strawberry on the nose and only a hint of nail polish. Quite a bit of oak. Full bodied with sweet, ripe fruit. Alcohol is 14.5% but doesn't show. Impressively balanced wine. This has soft tannins and the right amount of acidity to balance the sweet fruit. Finishes very long with some smoky/leathery character. Excellent stuff and real easy to drink.
Last edited by Jay Labrador on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: TN: Kanonkop Pinotage 2003

by Paul B. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:19 pm

Jay, many thanks for this note.

I've seen the Kanonkop at Vintages but it's price has soared to a whopping $45 - it used to be $32.

I've always loved this wine nonetheless, and I feel that your descriptors of strawberry, that tiny note of Pinotage volatility and smoky leather are absolutely 100% spot-on. Lots of people dislike Pinotage for these aromas - yet they are exactly why I love it, and why I will spend the money for Kanonkop and every other assertive example of the wine.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:31 pm

The 2003 vintage is one of Kanonkops more approachable when young Pinotages. My usual rule of thumb is tKanonkop needs keeping 10 years before drinking.

It spent 16 months in mostly new French oak, which accounts for you noticing wood, but I'm concerned you found 'nail varnish', that shouldn't be there. I didn't notice any when I tasted it.

2003 was a great vintage for Stellenbosch. I've been drinking a lot of L'Avenir's 2003 - which is just over the road from Kanonkop.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Paul B. wrote:Jay, many thanks for this note.

I've seen the Kanonkop at Vintages but it's price has soared to a whopping $45 - it used to be $32.

Hi Paul,

The prices you quote are very high compared to the prices in Manila. It costs a little less than USD 22.00 here.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Peter May wrote: I'm concerned you found 'nail varnish', that shouldn't be there. I didn't notice any when I tasted it.

The volatility was noticed just after the wine was poured. A few swirls of the glass got rid of it right away.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:32 am

Jay Labrador wrote:The prices you quote are very high compared to the prices in Manila. It costs a little less than USD 22.00 here.

Jay, that is pretty much what it was traditionally in Ontario. I really don't know who set the price so much higher in recent times, but it seems that something happened along the distribution or maybe marketing chain to cause it. At the old price point, I thought Kanonkop was a real bargain for all the substance that the wine offers and for its long ageworthiness. Kanonkop's Pinotage isn't just the best Pinotage in the world IMO - it's easily one of the best reds in the world.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:46 am

Paul B. wrote:
Jay Labrador wrote: I really don't know who set the price so much higher in recent times, but it seems that something happened along the distribution or maybe marketing chain to cause it.

Well, the LCBO are one of the largest wine buyers world wide, so with their clout they should get it at a good price.

In UK the 2003 is 14.95 GBP, same as previous vintage. That works out to 26 USD, but includes all three UK taxes. (Wine tax - a flat rate, Duty - dependent on alcohol and wine type, and 17.5% VAT on top applied to wine duty & wine tax)

LCBO is charging you equivalent of 22.20GBP

Seems to me your monopoly is ripping you off.

So no surprise there, then.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:12 am

Peter May wrote:Seems to me your monopoly is ripping you off.

Indeed. This is the exact info off their website:

KANONKOP PINOTAGE 2002 Coop.Winegrowers Assoc. Of S.Africa South Africa VINTAGES 987537 750 mL $ 45.95

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the new price.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:16 am

Paul B. wrote:I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the new price.

Since LCBO is a public agency, Paul, they should be under some obligation to respond to questions from taxpayers. Have you ever tried to pry information of this type out of them, perhaps with the help of a local elected official like the alderman or council person for the district you live in?

David Cohen could probably provide some insight on this for Toronto, as I believe he holds an elected post of that type himself.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:35 am

I've never bothered with that, Robin. Usually I'll just look at the price of a given wine and if I don't feel like buying the wine, I'll get something else. I like Kanonkop and will likely buy it, but not as often as before. I've also found that many other estate Pinotages are every bit as good, though less concentrated, than the Kanonkop - and typically sell for between $18-22.