Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fresh Fruit Preservation

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Fresh Fruit Preservation

by Jenise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Two days ago I bought a clamshell pack of cherries at Costco. First day, they were hard and crispy, but a few were oddly soft. Yesterday, another 25% were oddly soft too. Today another 25-50% are the same. And it's not the kind of softness one would get from cherries sitting in your fridge for a week, the soft-to-the-touch, give-under-pressure softness. Rather, the softness is large areas of very wet and mushy spots. I sorted through all the cherries and pulled out the good ones early this morning; but just now I went to help myself to a bowl and a quite a few of those that were perfect five hours ago have now developed wet spots. I mean wet like your finger goes right through it.

It's like the cherries are dissolving.

What is this the result of? It's like nothing I've ever seen happen to fruit, and I suspect it has to do with the method of preservation. I'm so weirded out by it that I just threw all the remaining cherries, even the ones ostensibly still okay, in the trash.

Anybody else encounter this kind of thing before?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

Re: Fresh Fruit Preservation

by Martha Mc » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Possible cold damage during either transport or while in storage?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:53 pm

I'm guessing they were partially frozen sometime along their journey.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:23 pm

I had something like this happens with some onions I just bought. Spots turned soft and brown, here and there. I figured they got caught in a freeze somewhere.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:21 pm

3-0 for freezing; that hadn't occurred to me (obviously) but you guys are probably right. Typical Costco problem isn't it? Fruit often looks so good, but isn't. Might be a typical winter problem up here when we're having extended freezing temps--I remember that from Alaska, but had forgotten about it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:56 am

4-0 for freezing!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"