Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Has anyone made a dish using carrots, turnips and cauliflower, all mashed >

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Has anyone made a dish using carrots, turnips and cauliflower, all mashed >

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:46 pm

with the carrot swirled through the white veggies? A friend told me of this dish and I'd like to create it at home.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Has anyone made a dish using carrots, turnips and cauliflower, all mashed >

by Jenise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:32 pm

No, but it sounds lovely. You could also use garnet yams for the orange part, or even just use half yams/carrots to create a smoother texture than carrots would be alone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:02 pm

Hmmm....even adding a bit of fresh gingerroot to the carrots and yams, and swirling this through the cauliflower, turnip mixture. A little butter, salt and pepper......what do you think?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:06 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hmmm....even adding a bit of fresh gingerroot to the carrots and yams, and swirling this through the cauliflower, turnip mixture. A little butter, salt and pepper......what do you think?

That's even better yet! And to add offsetting complexity to the cauliflower/turnip mixture, how about a little nutmeg on the white side?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Yea, that sounds so comforting to me. My weekend creation. Let you know.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Do so!

You've reminded me of something, namely a cauliflower soup I once made that was finished with little balls of butter chock full of chopped, roasted hazelnuts. It would melt into this wonderful little pool of flavored butter. I'd forgotten all about that, should dig out the recipe (it was on the old FLDG).

Oh, and the other night at RARE restaurant in Vancouver, they served a most excellent cauliflower soup. First, a bowl was placed in front of us that held a slice of lobster pate and a spoonful of caviar. Then the curiously creamy cauliflower soup (they claimed it contained no cream whatsoever, but it was SO opaque I have a hard time imagining that) was poured around it. Delicious soup, and the combination with seafood was exquisite--definitely something I wouldn't have thought of.

Thinking about it makes me want to pair your puree with grilled fish.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Has anyone made a dish using carrots, turnips and cauliflower, all mashe

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Do so!

You've reminded me of something, namely a cauliflower soup I once made that was finished with little balls of butter chock full of chopped, roasted hazelnuts. It would melt into this wonderful little pool of flavored butter. I'd forgotten all about that, should dig out the recipe (it was on the old FLDG).

Oh, and the other night at RARE restaurant in Vancouver, they served a most excellent cauliflower soup. First, a bowl was placed in front of us that held a slice of lobster pate and a spoonful of caviar. Then the curiously creamy cauliflower soup (they claimed it contained no cream whatsoever, but it was SO opaque I have a hard time imagining that) was poured around it. Delicious soup, and the combination with seafood was exquisite--definitely something I wouldn't have thought of.

Thinking about it makes me want to pair your puree with grilled fish.

Interesting! I'd wouldn't have thought of putting lobster in a cauliflower soup but now that you've mentioned it, it sounds great.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child