Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let it snow....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Let it snow....

by James Roscoe » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Yeah! It's near 70 in DC! I love it!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:43 pm

What a winter! We're in the middle of another snowstorm with big, fluffy flakes falling at a good rate. I drove my wife to work this morning so she wouldn't have to possibly abandon her car again.

In the meantime I'm baking four loaves of bread. I love the snow, but in my role as Lounge Lizard Larry tonight, I wonder if there will be any restaurant patrons. Oh well, I'll get my obligatory glass of wine and, afterwards, I'm off to a friend's house to prepare for a magazine-writing workshop (and I'm sure we'll quaff a bottle or two of cab sav there).

Tomorrow, it's going to be Mexican food. I bought a chub of masa harina at a Mexican supermarket to experiment with. I think I'll make tortilla soup and some tamales with some homemade Colorado red sauce.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Out West, we are still waiting for a decent rainstorm.

Cold, colder, coldest....but no precipitation.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:24 am

We've gotten only about 8 inches from this one, Larry. But the wind is nasty and creating 2 foot drifts up here. Brrrrrrrr!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:21 am

Here in ATX we are seeing the sun for the first time in 10 days. We had an 'Ice Storm' where we actually got accumulations of up to 1/8" (yes, you read that right). The first day of the 'Ice Storm' was actually just rain but the city shut down anyway. The local meteorologists really hyped this one good. Still, we had over 1,000 traffic accidents and, I think, over 10 fatalities. People just freak out down here when the weather guy/gal says, "Ice."

rwj
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:55 pm

After a long delay, winter has appeared in Cincinnati. Woke up to 3 inches and counting. Finished at about 4 inches. The bad part was that Cindy and I had to do the shovelling without help....our son is in Pennsylvania snowboarding!
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:27 pm

MikeH wrote:After a long delay, winter has appeared in Cincinnati. Woke up to 3 inches and counting. Finished at about 4 inches. The bad part was that Cindy and I had to do the shovelling without help....our son is in Pennsylvania snowboarding!

The weather system that smacked you apparently narrowly missed us, Mike. We knew we were right on the edge and could have had 1 to 3 inches, but we ended up with nuthin' but an hour or two of light freezing rain that quickly melted, and our snowless winter of 2007 goes on. I understand that the Indiana countryside just north of us had 4 inches or so.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:01 pm

We had a major ice storm that brought down trees and power lines all over the place and caused electrical outages. Fortunately the power was out at my place for only 15 hours or so, and I was at work (where we did have power) for a good part of the time. But I did have to postpone making the curried chicken for 1 day and eat Chinese take-out that evening instead.

-Paul W.
Previous