Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

kitchen Aid

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am

Belgium

kitchen Aid

by FrancescoP » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:09 pm

How good is it?

Francesco
Ciao,
Francesco

Visit my site at http://www.thefoodtraveller.com
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: kitchen Aid

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Could you be more specific? Do you mean the appliance company? Which particular appliance? Or the company in general, and its service to customers?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Belgium

by FrancescoP » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:03 pm

I thought that Artisan is the company and KitchenAid the whipping machine ... I refer to the appliance.

francesco
Ciao,
Francesco

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:39 pm

Traditionally, the Kitchenaid Artisan mixer has been considered a wonderful machine. Kitchenaid was (I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong) the arm of Hobart that dealt with appliances for home use. Hobart is a company that produces heavy-duty appliances for restaurants and other commercial applications. We have a Kitchenaid Artisan mixer that's at least 12 years old that has never had any problem whatsoever and works beautifully. My mom bought one back in the '70's that still works well. Kitchenaid is now owned by Whirlpool, however, and I don't know if the quality is still as high as it used to be or not. I would guess not, but perhaps someone here has some experience with their more recent products.

EDIT: Further research shows that Kitchenaid was bought by Whirlpool some time before we got our mixer. My suspicions on the quality of current models may be unfounded.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Steven Noess

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Minneapolis, MN USA

by Steven Noess » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:11 pm

FrancescoP wrote:I thought that Artisan is the company and KitchenAid the whipping machine ... I refer to the appliance.

francesco
Last edited by Steven Noess on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:30 pm

They're wonderful mixers, Francesco, strong and sturdy. They last forever, and in particular their ability to do jobs like kneading bread make certain laborious kitchen tasks a breeze. Can't imagine life without one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

FrancescoP

Rank

Wine geek

Belgium

by FrancescoP » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:28 pm

Then, we will probably leave it in the wedding list ... I was doubting. they look beautiful, was wondering if they life long and get used much.

Francesco
Ciao,
Francesco

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:42 pm

I purchased one of the professional series for my best friend and her new husband as a combined wedding/Christmas gift. They use it every other day or so.

I am really impressed with it and am now trying to figure out how to justify buying myself one!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:58 pm

Francesco, I'm sure you'll love it. You won't use it often, but when you do, you'll be doing things easily that you used to avoid doing because they were such pains. I had to make five cheesecakes at Christmas for a big dinner, and when I wasn't happy with the way the first ones turned out I made five more--never would have gotten through the first five let alone mustered the energy to whip up five more without my trusty Kitchen Aid. Wish I had the pro model, though.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:42 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I purchased one of the professional series for my best friend and her new husband as a combined wedding/Christmas gift. They use it every other day or so.

I am really impressed with it and am now trying to figure out how to justify buying myself one!

Get married around Christmas time and maybe your friend will buy you one in return...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Thomas wrote:Get married around Christmas time and maybe your friend will buy you one in return...

They actually got married on Summer Solstice (21 June). I was waiting for Witness #1 to decide if he wanted to join with me (Witness #2) in this and I finally just went ahead and got it myself! Luckily one has a year from the date of the wedding...
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:35 am

Regarding the brand in generaly, I am not too happy with a KitchenAid set of knives we purchased. Almost immediately they showed signed of tarnish. You have to treat them like they're fine china.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.