Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Three!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Three!)

by Jenise » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Heinz Bobek wrote:
Jenise wrote:Heinz, both dishes are absolutely incredible looking--your artistry is always so impressive but that mousse tarte is off the charts. What's the technique for getting the layers so perfect?

Thank you so much for your statement.
I'll explain the technique in my poor words, but I'm still working on it. So it will last one more day to be posted.

Thanks, will appreciate that very much.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Dinner tonight: veal meatloaf on roasted zucchini mash, romaine salad with raw mushrooms.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:58 am

To beat the heat, I tried two Sichuan cold chicken preparations from Fuschia Dunlop. Each calls for half of a pre-cooked chicken. In Sichuan they poach the chicken, but I used one of those rotisserie chickens from the supermarket.

The first preparation involves boning the chicken and cutting the meat into bite-size pieces. The sauce has scallions (also cut into bite-size pieces), fresh ginger, light soy sauce, Zhenjiang vinegar, sugar, hot oil (with residue), and sesame oil.

The second preparation is a cold version of fish-fragrant chicken (yu xiang ji si). The chicken is cut into slivers and the scallions (green parts only) crosswise into thin rounds. Also in the sauce are light soy sauce, Zhenjiang vinegar, pickled chile paste (I used sambal oelek), hot oil (no residue this time) ginger, garlic, and sugar.

In both cases all you do is put the chicken in a serving dish, mix up the rest of the ingredients, and pour the sauce over the chicken.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Paul, that sounds SO good. I'd forgotten about Chinese "Drunken" chicken which is similar if not the same by another name. What a perfect summer meal.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:33 pm

I've been quite busy on weeknights lately and travelling a lot on weekends, so I haven't been cooking nearly as much as I'd like. A couple of evenings ago, I knew my wife had had a rough day so I made meat loaf and mashed potatoes. (Pretty much her favorite comfort food apart from burgers at Jamie's Restaurant.) We happen to have a good supply of dried porcinis on hand, so I loaded the meat loaf up with them. Cooked it a little longer than ideal, but it still came out moist and flavorful. The next night I had a slice of meat loaf on an Acme hamburger bun with swiss cheese melted on top and Pepper Plant chipotle sauce. Last night, it was crumbled meat loaf in soft shell tacos with pickled onions and the Pepper Plant sauce. Tragically, the meat loaf is now gone and I'll have to find something else to eat tonight.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Wine Poached Pears

by Peter May » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:30 am

Using pears I'd found as windfalls under a tree in a roadside hedge -see thread Natures Bounty

I peeled then halved them. Some were bruised so I only used the half or quarters that weren't bruised. The pears were unripe with white seeds and very firm flesh.

I put them in a pan, covered with a bottle of red wine, bunged in a cinnamon stick and simmered over a low heat. When pears were tender I remove them, boiled down the wine and removed the cinnamon and used as a sauce

. Lovely.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:26 am

Did a simple roast beef: I sliced the fat off a 2.5# center eye roast, sat the meat on a mirepoix to which I added fennel seed and bay leaf, rubbed the roast with garlic, s+p, balanced the fat on top (to auto-baste it), and then roasted. High temp (450*F) for 20 minutes then medium temp (375*F) until the interior reached 135*F on a quick-read thermometer (which took 70 minutes in my kinda slow oven). Then, out and rest a bit.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm

I haven't posted to this thread in awhile. Reason is, in part, that I was away for almost two weeks--off to see the eclipse, followed by camping on and around Mt. Ranier National Park. We've lived here for 15 years and were a bit embarrassed that we'd never visited the park (but strangely, most Washingtonians haven't, it's just there--they see it from afar but never feel compelled somehow to get up close and personal with it).

Since we got back, I'm not sure what I've cooked. Carnitas tacos to go with the green chiles one night, green chile burgers another night, roasted salmon with fresh creamed corn last night, and leftovers another. But cooking at home is easy.

What I'd rather talk about is cooking on the road, in the tiny kitchen of my tiny house on wheels, whose name is Fritz, and with a tiny Coleman stove on a picnic table. I'm prouder of those meals than anything I do here. The majority of our camping trip was with one couple, Les and Barb, starting out in Corvallis, Oregon, from which we took a one-night break to meet up with Jim and Lee Ann in Battle Ground the evening of the eclipse. There I had promised to cook for them my "famous I-5 steak". Which is really only famous with Bob and I, one of those unplanned traditions that kind of made itself as the majority of our camping has occurred within shooting range of the I-5 corridor and the numerous trips we've made to Oregon and California in Fritz. Trips in which spur-of-the-moment meals have often been steaks, wherein which we've been lucky enough more often than not to find a couple Chuck Eye steaks in the meatcase of whatever market we shopped at. Luck is required because not all butchers separate that wonderful, tender cut from the Chuck, as fine as any rib-eye, and because each cow only produces a few. If you see them at all, you never see more than 2 or 3. But we seem to find them when camping, and I coat them with salt, sugar and ground coffee before grilling. The meat has just enough fat in it to bond with that coating and create a terrific crust that not only has a wonderful mouthfeel, the smell of caramelizing coffee during the cook is an amazing aroma in the great outdoors.

Another night while camping with the other couple at a beautiful riverside location called Ohanapecosh, I volunteered to do dinner. We'd set up camp early and I had time for some good cooking. Using only my little Coleman stove (one burner and an 11" square grill), I chopped and seared two clumps of maitakes I'd purchased in Salem with finely chopped onion and garlic, and then simmered/reduced them for an hour with white wine, chicken broth and cream to form a luxurious sauce to finish the ravioli and some fresh whole snap peas in. The only concession to circumstance is that fancy plating is gratuitous--though a salad course preceded the pasta, to serve the hot dish one just puts the whole pan in the middle of the table so that each person can help themselves.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:23 am

That's a hard road you drive, with maitake mushrooms. :lol:

So, coffee grinds as a coating for steak?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:That's a hard road you drive, with maitake mushrooms. :lol:

Yup. Thirds--sugar, salt and finely ground coffee (not previously used) and lots of flame.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Say, I invented something wonderful this week. In anticipation of the big Chile Roast on Sunday, I bought a few things in case I needed to make breakfast the next day for the couple who was coming from south Whidbey Island. I had no plan, but grabbed a tube of Mexican pork chorizo--whose flavor I love--and a pound of pork thinking what I've never thought before--that mixing the two together might make a decent breakfast sausage. Maybe I'd add a little more seasoning. So I blended them and stored the mix in a little tub where two days later, the breakfast issue having come and gone without event, I asked myself what I'd do with it. Whatever I did, it needed to happen that day. Sausage patties? Meatballs? What?

So I went and stood in the pantry staring at stuff to see what volunteered. When I saw polenta, I knew what I wanted: why not see if this would make a sliceable loaf of tamale-flavored corn to pan fry like the corn meal "mush" of my childhood? Well, bang-on it did. Absolutely delicious, great texture and flavor. So I'm taking it to Bill Spohn's house this weekend and cooking it for breakfast on Sunday morning. (We often stay over because it's, timewise, a long drive.) If I ever wrote a cookbook, this dish would be in it.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:25 pm

Jenise wrote:

Yup. Thirds--sugar, salt and finely ground coffee (not previously used) and lots of flame.

Sounds really interesting. I think of coffee grinds as, well, quintessential garbage.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Tonight was the catch-as-catch-can ragout: a tablespoon of sun-dried tomato oil, the mirepoix from under that recently-roasted beef, a cup of leftover sofrito, a cup of pureed tomato, dice of a fat carrot, two celery ribs, two big shrooms, two big garlic cloves, and the remnants of the aforementioned roast beast. Over penne. Grated parm on top, lots.

For an Italianate ragout, very full of smoky paprika. :)

But a bottle of Antoniolo Gattinara "Santa Chiara" from 1964 took it all in stride.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:46 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Sounds really interesting. I think of coffee grinds as, well, quintessential garbage.

They are--after you make coffee! Note that I specified unused ground coffee.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:48 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
But a bottle of Antoniolo Gattinara "Santa Chiara" from 1964 took it all in stride.

Sounds wonderful. So you just have a cellar full of '64s sitting around with nothing else to do? I need to be your neighbor!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Not cooking at home today. Will be attending (and representing America) at the rib-off at Bill Spohn's today. Wish me luck!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Not cooking at home today. Will be attending (and representing America) at the rib-off at Bill Spohn's today. Wish me luck!

Luck! Winner gets Justin Trudeau, loser has to take ... you know ...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:Not cooking at home today. Will be attending (and representing America) at the rib-off at Bill Spohn's today. Wish me luck!

Luck! Winner gets Justin Trudeau, loser has to take ... you know ...

LOL! If only. Trouble is, even conservative Canadians think Trump's a nutjob.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Jenise wrote:LOL! If only. Trouble is, even conservative Canadians think Trump's a nutjob.

That'll give them an incentive not to lose. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Dinner tonight: Dungeness crab--caught and cooked today!
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:06 am

Jenise, must be wonderful to catch crab on your doorstep. And have salmon leaping into your lap! LOL
How did the rib -off go? What did you cook?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Barb, it really is fun to live in a place with a natural bounty. I've only lived here 15 years, and never knew anything like it before.

The rib-off was a blast! Everyone did well, and there were some really inventive takes I never would have thought of. One guy marinated his in all Italian seasonings for instance, and skipped the smoke. Loved those! I chose the St. Louis cut for my ribs (vs. babyback) and did an overnight cure of salt, sugar and madras curry powder for an intense through-flavor. I brushed them with maple syrup and did a three hour smoke with cherry wood. I then just set them in parchment paper in a protective cooler, warm, and ferried them up to Bill's house that way. When my turn came, I crisped them up on Bill's BBQ then minimalistically drizzled the cut pieces with a barely sweet chutneyish sauce of apricot and blood orange marmalade, mustard, lemon juice and more madras curry. My own invention and for this occasion in order to stand out as totally different. I brought two sides to share. Pickled corn on the cob with whole chipotle and aleppo peppers, guava leaf, juniper berries and whole peppercorns; and a very spicy "Adults Only, Triple X rated" potato salad chock full of celery and jalapeno peppers.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:52 am

Jenise wrote:...One guy marinated his in all Italian seasonings for instance, and skipped the smoke. Loved those! ...
I did something similar at a NiagarCOOL Picnic about 10 years ago. I did not marinade, but using Joseph Carey's BBQ recipe as a guide, made a dry rub, I substituted Italian seasonings and a sauce based on Marinara, but thicker, and cooked them over slow burning charcoal.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:04 pm

It has finally cooled down a bit. Or at least, today's about 15 degrees cooler than yesterday even if the sky is a smokey orange-gray.
It has been a very sad late summer here in the PNW--the best month and weather of the year blighted with smoke and sadness. So much has been lost.

Anyway, tonight I'm making spaghetti and meatballs. Comfort food.
PreviousNext