The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Klein Constantia Muscat Vin de Constance

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 1999 Klein Constantia Muscat Vin de Constance

by Saina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:30 pm

The 1999 was IMO much better than the 98 I recently reported on. Now I'll have a few days off wine because of wisdom teeth removal. Hopefully I'll get back to drinking asap :)

• 1999 Klein Constantia Muscat Vin de Constance - South Africa, Coastal Region, Constantia (4/17/2006)
    Orange. A nose rotten to the core with a creamyness lurking underneath the savoury-sweet citrussyness. The palate is fantastically intense, almost creamy in texture, with immense acidity backing up the equally immense sweetness and fruit. Very good, if a touch "in your face".

Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Saina on Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: TN: 1999 Klein Constantia Muscat Vin de Constance

by Peter May » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:13 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: A nose rotten to core [/url][/i]

On both this and the 1998 TN you used the descriptor "rotten", can you explain?

I don't find a rotten smell or taste in VdC, rather the opposite in that I find it clean and fresh, and I would think rotten would be a criticism, although it doesn't come over that way in your TN, so I'm a trifle puzzled.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:27 pm

I don't find a rotten smell or taste in VdC, rather the opposite in that I find it clean and fresh, and I would think rotten would be a criticism, although it doesn't come over that way in your TN, so I'm a trifle puzzled.

Well, I did actually mean to imply a certain type of rot, namely Botrytis. But now that you mention it, the scent might not have been botrytis, but something very reminiscent of it. Well, what I meant was a very pronounced scent of citrus peels with that sharp and spicy edge which I thought comes from Botrytis. Is this botrytised, do you know, or does it just imitate noble rot very well?

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:35 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Well, I did actually mean to imply a certain type of rot, namely Botrytis. But now that you mention it, the scent might not have been botrytis, but something very reminiscent of it. Well, what I meant was a very pronounced scent of citrus peels with that sharp and spicy edge which I thought comes from Botrytis. Is this botrytised, do you know, or does it just imitate noble rot very well?

Otto

You should have said "nobly rotten" to avoid confusion.

According to their website, and wineanorak.com, Vin de Constance is made out of grapes raisined, but not affected by Botrytis.

-Paul W.
Last edited by Paul Winalski on Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:37 pm

Mea culpa. Pater peccavi.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:16 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:A nose rotten to core ... The palate is fantastically intense ... immense acidity backing up the equally immense sweetness and fruit.

Great prose, Otto. I love it!! :mrgreen:

And the wine truly sounds like an exemplary representative of its type.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:43 pm

Constantia is one of the great old pre-Phylloxera dessert wines and had a world-wide reputation. It was made from overripe muscat grapes not affected by Botrytis. Production ceased when Phylloxera devastated the South African vineyards.

The original estate was split in 1818. The lower part, Groot Constantia, is today a state-owned winery. The upper part, Klein Constantia, is in private hands. In 1993 Klein Constantia started production of "Vin de Constance", a dessert wine made as closely as possible in the fashion of the old Constantia. Groot Constantia produces a similar wine these days.

The aromatic qualities of muscat give it an aroma and flavor very unlike other sweet dessert wines.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:00 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Well, I did actually mean to imply a certain type of rot, namely Botrytis.

OK -- I knew VdC isn't botryised, and thus didn't realise you were considering noble rot.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:22 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
The original estate was split in 1818. The lower part, Groot Constantia, is today a state-owned winery. The upper part, Klein Constantia, is in private hands. In 1993 Klein Constantia started production of "Vin de Constance", a dessert wine made as closely as possible in the fashion of the old Constantia. Groot Constantia produces a similar wine these days.

Groot Constantia is a must to visit for anyone with half a day to spare in Cape Town - its in the suburbs. Its now administered by a trust and as well as a working winery the grounds and old building are a national monument. There are old buildings furnished as they were in the 1800s, restuarants, museums of wine plus attractive gardens and vineyards. There are regular tours of the winery.

Vin de Constance from neighbouring Klein Constantia has been a tremendous success, and its price has tripled since I first bought it. Groot Constantia's new "Grand Constance" recreation of the historic Constantia sweet wine was first released at the end of 2005. Delayed unfortunately, which meant I couldn't get any before leaving the Cape, but a good friend has procured a bottle which he is bringing to me.

I'm torn between drinking it and saving it....