The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three dandys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Three dandys

by Florida Jim » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:49 am

1996 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:
golden; powerful nose with concentrated riesling aromas, some minerality and distinct resinous notes; the same on the palate which has delineated flavors, is texturally smooth, pretty deep and bone dry; good intensity and balance and an extremely long finish. Not the depth of the ’99 nor the breadth of the ’01 but a very solid, flavor-filled wine that is clearly from Austria.
With chicken-apple sausages and spring vegetables, excellent accompaniment.

2002 Drouhin, Volnay:
Fresh, ripe raspberries pulverized in a stone mortar and pestle; this wine has tensile strength – it’s pure and clean and focused and long. A really fine bottle drinking well now but capable of at least medium term aging.
Superb with grilled pork chops and stir-fry veggies on rice.

1999 Dugat-Py, Gevrey-Chambertin VV:
Gevrey earth and a forceful density; still closed but showing enough to make me glad to have a glass in my hand; aromatically reticent; rich and concentrated in the mouth with less of the ‘CA feel’ it had at release and more of its ‘Gevrey-ness’ with substantial complexity; very long, ripe and so together. A great wine, even now, and very good with assorted cheeses.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Three dandys

by JC (NC) » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:56 pm

Nice notes, Jim. The Volnay sounds very attractive to me.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:19 pm

Jim, great notes as usual! Reading your note I'm almost ashamed that I didn't buy any Dugat-Py when it was available. I thought too spoofulated and wasn't at all convinced it would ever calm down - which is a pity, as I love Gevrey-Chambertin's unique earthiness. But remembering the outrageous cost of the wine in Finland cures me of all regret. Besides there are other producers who make smashing G-C - A. Rousseau's is a current favourite of mine and is a lot less than Dugat-Py.

Drouhin rocks!

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:46 am

Otto Nieminen wrote:Jim, great notes as usual! Reading your note I'm almost ashamed that I didn't buy any Dugat-Py when it was available. I thought too spoofulated and wasn't at all convinced it would ever calm down - which is a pity, as I love Gevrey-Chambertin's unique earthiness. But remembering the outrageous cost of the wine in Finland cures me of all regret. Besides there are other producers who make smashing G-C - A. Rousseau's is a current favourite of mine and is a lot less than Dugat-Py.

Drouhin rocks!

Otto

Otto,
They are usually not something I buy either but, I found a very good deal in the states for several of the village wines in 1999 and broke the bank to get a few.
Every once and awhile you just have to say, what the . . . 8)
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars