Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Canned foie gras on toast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Canned foie gras on toast

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:04 pm

So I have some, and I was trying to come up with some elegant ways to serve it on toast that would be savory and not offensive to dry bubblies. IOW, staying away from the sweet jams. I'm wondering if a tomato confit might be an attractive counterpoint. Maybe a roasted cherry tomato with some herbs?

Just looked on the internet for recipes, thought maybe a brand carried on Amazon, like Rougie, would have a site chocked full. No, Rougie has a website but there are about three recipes on the whole thing.

Thoughts?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Canned foie gras on toast

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:28 pm

maybe caramelized shallots or red onion?

I remember a passed canape once which was foie gras on toast topped with a sprinkle of candied nuts (not supersweet)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Dale Williams wrote:maybe caramelized shallots or red onion?

I remember a passed canape once which was foie gras on toast topped with a sprinkle of candied nuts (not supersweet)

Both sound good. I've used caramelized onions on a blue cheese spread on toast and think that's a good idea. With the addition of vinegar, would have that acidity I think we'd need.

Hmmmm....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 pm

What about a dense, savory tomato aspic cut into small dice and mounded on top of the foie gras toast with a tiny dab of black garlic [ easier than black truffle to procure unless you have a source and no budget to meet ]
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Aspic! I *love* that idea. Very French.

Has me thinking of using little pastry cups. As a do-ahead, would be so easy, and the aspic wouldn't tumble off.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:04 pm

A thread of roasted red pepper looks great - and you don't even have to roast your own, you can buy a jar of them. Same idea as aspic but less work and more flavour. Be sure to dry the pepper slices well before putting them on the FG or they'll go walkabout on you.

You might get to try this on Saturday - haven't decided between the red pepper (looks best) and capers (more mundane looks but a nice shot of salty flavour).

Wannabe a bit crazier? Snippet of dried cherry and a very light sprinkle of coarse salt.

Or you could make tiny little 'faces' with a slice of petit cornichon for the mouth and a couple of caper for the eyes. Or......
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Or you could make tiny little 'faces' with a slice of petit cornichon for the mouth and a couple of caper for the eyes. Or......

Knock it off. She's looking for savory, not salacious. :lol:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:22 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:Knock it off. She's looking for savory, not salacious. :lol:

Hey - I said cornichon slices, not the whole gherkin..... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jeff Grossman wrote:Knock it off. She's looking for savory, not salacious. :lol:

Hey - I said cornichon slices, not the whole gherkin..... :twisted:

Yeah, yeah, we know what men are thinking....