Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Miso Glazing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Miso Glazing

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm

If you've never made miso-glazed fish, you've missed out on one of the easiest, tastiest and most attractive ways to both season and prepare fish EVER. I'm especially fond of it on mild, slightly wet fish, like black cod, whose moisture otherwise resists crusting.

Here's what you do for two pieces of fish: put one heaping teaspoon of miso in a small bowl large enough to hold your two pieces of fish. Whisk in citrus juice: grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange or, like I did here, small sweet clementines. Doesn't take much, I used just 1.5 fruits, but you have to be your own judge. You're looking for something looser than a paste, more like a syrup: just where it will easily coat a piece of fish. Drop in the fish, coat, and let sit for about an hour. Pan fry in olive oil--teflon highly reccomended--on a fire hot enough to slightly blacken the miso coating on both sides, show side down first. Serve with a slice of the same citrus you used in the glaze for a finishing spritz. Fast, easy, DIVINE.

Perfect for riesling. I served this with seared slices of parsnip and zucchini on the side.

Miso Glazed Black Cod.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Re: Miso Glazing

by Jason Hagen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Yummy! Miso is a secret weapon. Love it. I need to try this soon.

Jason
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:14 pm

What miso do you use on fish? I only keep shiro (white) miso.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Bill, to be honest, I don't completely recall what I have except that I love it, and I've bought some in the past I didn't like as much. (I transferred it to a better container than what it came in, so brand name's long gone.) They're all brown, but white is lighter brown that red, and I believe I've found the red a bit too intense.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Love miso glazed black cod or salmon. If I'm confident of freshness, I usually marinate full day (the famous Nobu recipe calls for 2-3 days, but for that I'd have to cook myself).
I usually use white, might try yellow. Think red miso would be way too strong
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Great idea. Always looking for a quick fish dish. Lately fixated on trying Yuzu juice on everything and this could be a perfect pair
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:54 am

Love cooking a flaky, juicy piece of fish with miso. Used it with a little coconut milk and lemongrass flavored sake once. Stunning flavors. I’ve only broiled my fish. Wil try a fry next time.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:54 am

Love cooking a flaky, juicy piece of fish with miso. Used it with a little coconut milk and lemongrass flavored sake once. Stunning flavors. I’ve only broiled my fish. Wil try a fry next time.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 am

Never had miso, don't even know what it is, but by co-incidence there was an article in the Metro* yesterday that I found on the train on way home from airport** raving on about a recipe of aubergine halves glazed with miso.. looked tempting but didn't keep page and now can't find recipe on their website

*Free daily newspaper given out at rail and underground stations
** flew home from Tampa after 3 weeks in Ontario, NY, PA and Sanibel FL
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Love miso glazed black cod or salmon. If I'm confident of freshness, I usually marinate full day (the famous Nobu recipe calls for 2-3 days, but for that I'd have to cook myself).
I usually use white, might try yellow. Think red miso would be way too strong

The first time I had miso glazed fish, it was from a recipe attributed to Roy's of Hawaii (where they call black cod 'butterfish') and marinated for days like Nobu's. This method I describe is a definite riff on that--more time is good but even just an hour is enough to infuse flavor.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Peter May wrote:Never had miso, don't even know what it is, but by co-incidence there was an article in the Metro* yesterday that I found on the train on way home from airport** raving on about a recipe of aubergine halves glazed with miso.. looked tempting but didn't keep page and now can't find recipe on their website

*Free daily newspaper given out at rail and underground stations
** flew home from Tampa after 3 weeks in Ontario, NY, PA and Sanibel FL

Miso is fermented soy bean paste. Lovely flavor. To use it on eggplant, you'd only need to first dessicate the eggplant with a bit of salt (then wipe off or rinse and dry) and spread miso on or soak it lightly in a syruppy version like I describe here. In fact, it sounds so good I'm going to try this myself!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Nasu dengaku (miso glazed eggplant) is a classic Japanese dish. Split and salt a Japanese eggplant, dry, drizzle with just a little sesame oil, bake it till just done. On stovetop heat some mirin and sake, stir in eggplant and (a little) sugar. Brush eggplant, broil for a minute or two. Sprinkle with crushed sesame seed.

There are so many great things to do with miso, we never don't have in fridge.

And in my previous post I meant to say to be confident to marinate for 3 days like Nobu (or Roy) I'd have to catch myself.