The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Is travel shock a proven detriment to wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Is travel shock a proven detriment to wine?

by Jim Grow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:42 pm

I get most of my wine thru the mail and usually set it aside for a few weeks before opening any but not always. If it is just a matter of disturbing the sediment then I could see the value of resting port or even unfiltered red wine. Given a few hours upright, this sediment should resettle and be fine for consumption then. Maybe I'm missing something else here? What is the general consensus on this issue and why?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Is travel shock a proven detriment to wine?

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:34 pm

Jim Grow wrote:I get most of my wine thru the mail and usually set it aside for a few weeks before opening any but not always. If it is just a matter of disturbing the sediment then I could see the value of resting port or even unfiltered red wine. Given a few hours upright, this sediment should resettle and be fine for consumption then. Maybe I'm missing something else here? What is the general consensus on this issue and why?

I don't think there is much 'scientific' evidence on the issue. But I usually err on the side of caution.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I don't think there is much 'scientific' evidence on the issue. But I usually err on the side of caution.

I haven't seen any rigorous science on it, either, but back when I had a job that took me traveling a lot - and bringing wines to offlines around the country - I built up a whole load of anecdotal evidence that wines fresh out of carry-on baggage (in those days of yore before 9/11) often didn't show well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 pm

Jim, a few decades ago I travelled often with my two primary holdings of pinot noir, Joseph Swan and St. Innocent. None were aged enough for worries about sediment, but thru repeated experiences with both I found that the Swans tended to not show well for a few days where the St. Innocents could be popped and poured on arrival. We had several experiences of opening and not liking the Swans, putting the cork in, waiting another three or four days and then finding the wine we knew it to have been all along--so we knew for a fact that the wine wasn't faulty, just temporarily confused.

So it's not neccessarily about sediment. Young wines experience shock too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:30 pm

No
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:02 pm

David.....you ramble on so! Thanks all for your input.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Jenise, Swans aren't filtered or fined. Could be part of the difference.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 pm

John Treder wrote:Jenise, Swans aren't filtered or fined. Could be part of the difference.

I realize that, and I think St. Innos are but don't know that for sure. 20 years ago, that seemed to be the difference.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Good question !

I don't know if it's proven, there's enough anecdotal buzz sso that 'travel shock' is a well known term. But is it just an excuse used by wine show pourers to deflect criticism?

Trade fairs show wines that have arrived the previous day from places thousands of miles away. If travel shock was serious would prestigious wineries not send their products in advance?

I have sliced open plastic wrapping on pallets of boxes of wines that have been shipped across the world and poured the wines the following morning.

But when I buy wines for myself I always rest them at home for a week or more before opening.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 pm

Peter May wrote:Trade fairs show wines that have arrived the previous day from places thousands of miles away. If travel shock was serious would prestigious wineries not send their products in advance?

Trade fairs are not exactly known as the best environments for understanding wine. And there are often various caveats about that at such events. But life is not perfect and there are logistical constraints.

And when it's a more focused event with a few special bottles, wineries do send the bottles ahead of time.
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:55 am

I think the problem with this topic is that no one body currently has enough financial incentive to investigate it properly. But it is not difficult to imagine proper experiments that would go a long way to finding the answer(s).

Perhaps the solution is some sort of "citizen science" or "crowdsourced" project? Something organised centrally by people who understand science and statistics, and executed by volunteers who can be trusted to follow instructions. Essential elements would be 1) having wines that are as near identical as possible, 2) leaving some at home while sending the other half on a journey, and 3) double-blind comparisons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:10 pm

Jim, thought of this post while adding some wine to my inventory today on CT. Here are the last two reviews posted two days apart. Now not all reviewers are created equal, I know, but the lesser impression made on the second reviewer just might have something to do with the fact that he opened his the same day it arrived.

11/12/2017 - LITT12 LIKES THIS WINE: 94 Points
Fresh, mineral, balanced - terroir driven and one of the top producers in California Pinot Noir. Drinks lovely now and can’t wait to see how it develops over time.

11/10/2017 - T_MODERNE WROTE: 86 Points
This just arrived today and so it was a pop and pour. Ruby red color.
Nose of some dark berries and a little funk (wet wool sweater).
A little funky earthy note upon entry. Bright acidity. Some blackberries along with forest floor and some spice. More savory than sweet.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes, at least for ocean shipping (which is where my experience lies).

We taste newly arrived wines off each container we import. Sometimes they're fine, sometimes they are shadows of themselves; a few weeks usually fixes it. If they are affected, it's always the same problem, the 'flesh' recedes, leaving the 'bones' more evident.

I don't know why it happens, but I don't know anyone who regularly ships wine who doesn't believe think it's real.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Interesting question.

Experiment. Open two bottles of the same wine from your cellar and taste a small aliquot to confirm that they are both showing the same. Stick a vacuum stopper in each and put one in the car and send significant other off with it with instructions to put 1,000 miles on it before returning. Should be back about the same time the next day. Retaste once temperature is the same and report back.

Comparing wine from a batch that came over six months earlier with what you just picked up in the store from a more recent shipment doesn't do it - they could well be from two different bottlings.

I am with those who are undecided but prefer to play it safe and avoid opening wine without letting it cellar a week or so first.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Experiment. Open two bottles of the same wine from your cellar and taste a small aliquot to confirm that they are both showing the same. Stick a vacuum stopper in each and put one in the car and send significant other off with it with instructions to put 1,000 miles on it before returning. Should be back about the same time the next day. Retaste once temperature is the same and report back.

Significant other might come back with no wine and divorce papers. That would be some travel shock!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Hey Bill, you must have a very obedient "significant other"! but I like the theory
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Btw, the Wine Berserker board has a member famous for opening wine the day the box shows up. So much so that this act of premature anticipation is now known by his last name, Pobega. I see a post from Tom Hill below describing a wine he Pobega'd, so I guess we shall officially adopt this into our nomenclature.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Jim Grow wrote:Hey Bill, you must have a very obedient "significant other"! but I like the theory

Well you'd have to come up with a great sale you could tell them about 500 miles away........and then sneak the bottle into the trunk!
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:38 am

Yes, at least for ocean shipping (which is where my experience lies).

Oliver, you are probably quite right.

I was once told that hundreds of years ago England imported all their wine from France, which was a quick trip across the Channel. When relations between the two countries soured England sourced their wines from Spain and Portugal, but that was an ocean voyage and didn't work out very well. The wines arrived in such poor condition that they could not be drunk. Someone got the idea of fortifying the wine and, for whatever reason, that survived the ocean voyage much better. And, supposedly, that is why to this day the Brits drink Sherry and Port.

I have no idea if this is true but it's a good story and it should be true.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:45 am

Ken Schechet wrote:

I have no idea if this is true but it's a good story and it should be true.

Basically true. But remember that the wine was shipped in barrel* then.

Also, for Brits read English as the Scots weren't at war with Framce and continued to import claret, and quite a bit was smuggled across the border.

a couple more to add to the story:

*known as tuns, thus the capacity of a ship at Bordeaux was measured in tuns or tunnage being the amount of barrels it was capable of carrying.

In the grand houses the contents of the barrel were then bottled, an important job, and thus the position of chief of staff in a big house became the butler.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:58 pm

I thought "butler" had to do not only with bottles but also with the barrels -- I think there's two butts in a tun, right? (And, of course, don't try pinching the butler's butt, or there'll be some puncheon.)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:I thought "butler" had to do not only with bottles but also with the barrels -- I think there's two butts in a tun, right? (And, of course, don't try pinching the butler's butt, or there'll be some puncheon.)

No chance of 'staving' off bad humour here, is there? Caught you firkin around again, Patchen.

:twisted:
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:48 pm

You could try to stop me, but I'm pretty hogs-headed.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:41 am

As far as the travel shock phenomenon goes, just "put it in your pipe and smoke it". :D :

Salute
Next