The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I laughed when I saw the Nouveau, but then ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: I laughed when I saw the Nouveau, but then ...

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:49 pm

I laughed when I saw a couple of Beaujolais Nouveau bottles at my neighborhood wine shop this afternoon, including the familiar Georges Dubeouf flower bottle. But then I noticed that one of the Nouveaux was from Alain Junguenet’s Wines of France, Inc., in Mountainside, N.J. I’ve never had a bad French wine from Junguenet, so I risked $14 and came away happy. It’s a decent table wine, no bananas or bubble-gum, nice complexity and good acid balance. Never mind the “Nouveau” on the label.

Domaine Rochette 2017 Beaujolais Villages Nouveau ($13.99)

Dark ruby color, shading to a clear purple edge. Fresh and clean aromas, plums and subtle raspberries, lead into a bright red-fruit flavor, full and ripe for a Nouveau, nicely balanced with crisp fresh-fruit acidity. Really one of the best Nouveaux I’ve tried over the years, enjoyable on its own and good with food, nicely balanced at 13% alcohol. U.S. importer: Wines of France, Inc., Mountainside, N.J.; The Beaujolais Selection of Alain Junguenet. (Nov. 17, 2017)

FOOD MATCH: This cousin of red Burgundy is versatile with many food pairings. It sang for us with bowls of linguine Cacio e Pepe coated in Parmigiano and freshly ground black pepper.

WHEN TO DRINK: Sooner rather than later, but there’s no reason a bottle shouldn’t keep until next year’s Nouveau comes in.

VALUE:
This exceptional Nouveau is worth lower-teens price and more.

WEB LINK
Here's a fact sheet in English from Domaine Rochette. This page covers all their Beaujolais wines, ranging from Nouveau to some very special single-vineyard Cru Beaujolais.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Look for vendors and check prices for Domaine Rochette 2017 Beaujolais Villages Nouveau on Wine-Searcher.com.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: I laughed when I saw the Nouveau, but then ...

by Jenise » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Felt the same way about the Mommesin we poured. Good fruit and no bananas, no bubble gum, nothing over the top. The Foillard would probably have been better, but it would have been more expensive in a situation in which I was the only one who could tell the difference.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

Duboeuf is $26 Cdn up here.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:03 am

I saw this exact Nouveau in my wine store in Annapolis. I dismissed it for being what it is. I will have to give it a whirl. I think it was $15. On a side note, my daughter Amanda who lives in Lyon, FR. was in Boujalais yesterday drinking all kinds of wine. She is enjoying the Boujalais. :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Duboeuf is $26 Cdn up here.

Ripoff! It was $20C in Vanc
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov