Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine with rabbit?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Wine with rabbit?

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm a rabbit fan, but have typically only cooked a la moutarde (with Riesling) or cacciatore (with Sangiovese). There was a great dinner party issue of the NYT mag couple of weeks ago, with some great recipes including this one from Gabrielle Hamilton
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/101 ... ch&rank=16
(sorry if behind a paywall- roasted on guanciale, watercress, radicchio, drizzled with oil and white wine)
I'm thinking this should be pretty versatile (equivalent to a rich roasted chicken), probably red Burg. Any other ideas?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine with rabbit?

by Jenise » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 pm

I think you're right on it with the burg--medium bodied red wine. However, in the same category, with the Italianish elements of guanciale and raddichio, a sangiovese would be right at home.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:31 am

Grenache?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Don't discount whites - a flavourful Greco di Tufo, Verdicchio, Orvieto or good Soave or a Châteauneuf blanc....or if you can find them, a pacherenc-du-vic-bilh or Gascon Petit Manseng (and believe it or not, they plant this south of Rome as well)..

For red, a Barbera works well as it is the right weight, or an aged Nebbiolo.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Don't discount whites - a flavourful Greco di Tufo, Verdicchio, Orvieto or good Soave or a Châteauneuf blanc....or if you can find them, a pacherenc-du-vic-bilh or Gascon Petit Manseng (and believe it or not, they plant this south of Rome as well)..

For red, a Barbera works well as it is the right weight, or an aged Nebbiolo.

The first thought that occurred to me was white Rhone.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:04 pm

thanks all. I think a bigger white might have worked, but I did fine with a mature red Burg ('87 Drouhin Beaune Greves). I agree that the Sangiovese would have gone well also. The Grenache idea is interesting, but I have far less CdP than Burg, so went with what I have the most of. Overall very happy (total do again recipe), though wonder if Bill's idea of a mid-to-full Italian (and had good Soave in fridge) might have gone better with the bitterness of the greens (watercress/red dandelion/radicchio) than the red, though they didn't truly clash.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:53 am

Wine with rabbit , of course, any wine will do.
I’m having a glass of wine and looking out my kitchen window at 5 young wild rabbits grazing. I’m in sympathy with Elmer Fudd. Apart from all the holes they dig the #%@$&*’s ate all my parsley!

Rabbit is, however, a nice and underrated meat if cooked appropriately. If only we could eat them all!!!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:09 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:I’m having a glass of wine and looking out my kitchen window at 5 young wild rabbits grazing. I’m in sympathy with Elmer Fudd. Apart from all the holes they dig the #%@$&*’s ate all my parsley!

Just look at that as them pre seasoning themselves and schedule them for dinner tonight - two problems solved.