Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

WTN: Molded Cranberry Relish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Molded Cranberry Relish

by Jenise » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:24 pm

So I had volunteered to make the cranberry relish for a traditional turkey dinner, and I made it the day before so that I had one less thing to do on the day we had a two hour drive. I decided to just make a few riffs on the package instructions, adding cinnamon bark to the cook, cutting sugar in half, and added fresh grated ginger. I had also bought an orange but because I liked it best raw, I reserved it and the separately the juice for adding after cooking the berries.

At the last minute I decided I wanted to do a play on the mental image of the canned cranberry sauce of my childhood--both ends of the can removed, and the jelly pushed out to wobble on a plate. So I reserved the orange juice for that step, and got out my half-moon shaped mold. In the end I had this long narrow half-tube shape on a long rectangular white plate. Couldn't have looked more glamorous, and the texture was superb. Everyone said it was the best they'd ever had, and Bob and I both agreed. The texture wasn't jello, just very thick and without a runny juice. I've never made cranberry sauce the same way twice, but this will be the only say I'll make cranberry sauce in the future, and I want to preserve the recipe. So, here:

1 bag cranberries
1 large orange, zested and juiced
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 envelope gelatine

Rinse berries and put in a saucepan with water, sugar, cinnamon stick and ginger. Bring to a boil and simmer until the berries pop.
Zest the orange, then cut in half and remove juice to a bowl or wide mouthed container, like a measuring cup. Sprinkle the gelatine onto the orange juice, whisk in vigorously with a fork.

When the berries are done, pour through a strainer to separate the hot cranberry liquid. Remove cinnamon stick. Pour the hot liquid onto the orange juice and blend well, then add back to the cranberries with the orange zest. Pour into a cling-film lined mold and refrigerate overnight to set.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: WTN: Molded Cranberry Relish

by Christina Georgina » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:56 am

Nice recipe. Clean, crisp flavors should come thru. Will save for next needed cranberry relish. Should go well with any rendition of pork as well..
Glad to know the consistency was good. I've struggled in the past getting the right liquid/gelatin proportion in self created recipes.
Did you by any chance note the volumes of liquids and solids after straining?
Just a little shy because a dessert gelee with homemade elderflower cordial once fought back the spoon attempting to pierce the surface......very embarrassing but ultimately a funny memory for the guests !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Nice recipe. Clean, crisp flavors should come thru. Will save for next needed cranberry relish. Should go well with any rendition of pork as well..
Glad to know the consistency was good. I've struggled in the past getting the right liquid/gelatin proportion in self created recipes.
Did you by any chance note the volumes of liquids and solids after straining?
Just a little shy because a dessert gelee with homemade elderflower cordial once fought back the spoon attempting to pierce the surface......very embarrassing but ultimately a funny memory for the guests !

You nailed it--clean, crisp, bright. Tasted like fresh cranberries, just slightly more complex than cranberry-only would have. Didn't taste cooked, or like a chutney.

I get re that struggle--me too. But in this case, the high ratio of solids to actual liquid thwarts the gel's ability to be so solid. Your fork could pull away the bit needed for each bite the way way it would for a stiff mashed potato, say. And yes, re the quantities--I ended up with only about 1/2 cup of hot cranberry liquid and about half a cup of orange juice, and close to four cups total quantity for the mold.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Christina, here's a picture. This was the last five inches that didn't fit on the presentation plate, which I broke in two in order to fit it into a small container--so a bit messy, but nonetheless you can see how tender the result is. Holds a molded shape but no jello, and no runny juices.

CranberryRelish.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.