Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

There goes my plan to buy fresh truffles for Xmas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

There goes my plan to buy fresh truffles for Xmas

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 pm

Small Size: 1 oz. $320.00
Small Size - 1/4 lb. $1,291.25
Small Size - 1/2 lb. $2,504.00
Medium Size: 0.75 oz. $273.95
Medium Size: 1/4 lb. $1,330.25
Medium Size: 1/2 lb. $2,582.25
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: There goes my plan to buy fresh truffles for Xmas

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 pm

:shock:

Perigord, Alba, or other?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:22 pm

So, a couple things here:
1. An ounce is enough truffle for 2 or 3 plates.
2. 2017 has been a bad year for white truffles. A little too dry so not many and not great quality. You must call ahead, even at stores that usually have them. (I got this from the importer at Urbani, who I spoke to after the ones I got at Eataly were dubious.)

ETA: Weather was too dry, not too wet.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:55 am

Jeff's right. Tough season. Our annual truffle/nebbiolo dinner was scheduled forTues, and we voted just to skip the truffles and make it just "bring a good bottle blind". Prices high, quality low.
We usually chip in about $60 per person and have copious amounts on eggs, Tajarin , and even ice cream (I skip latter),
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote::shock:

Perigord, Alba, or other?

French white.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Jeff's right. Tough season. Our annual truffle/nebbiolo dinner was scheduled forTues, and we voted just to skip the truffles and make it just "bring a good bottle blind". Prices high, quality low.
We usually chip in about $60 per person and have copious amounts on eggs, Tajarin , and even ice cream (I skip latter),

Really sad! What a great dinner plan. I presume you wouldn't consider Oregon substitutes. I've actually had some that were terrific, but most I've had weren't.

I'd read that the season was poor but the above were the first prices I actually laid eyes on.

Speaking of truffles, I'm suddenly reminded that i read years ago about some guy with a scientific mind married to a doctor who loves truffles and moved to Tennessee for her practice, then found the perfect soil/climate for truffles so he planted a grove of chestnut trees. Has anyone seen Tennessee truffles yet?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Has anyone seen Tennessee truffles yet?

I did not know about this but Google sez...

The Tennessee truffle website is abandoned though you can still see the 'about' page: http://tennesseetruffle.com/about-tom.html

A long, long article says all was going well until the hazelnut trees were lost to Eastern Filbert Blight: https://www.greenevillesun.com/news/local_news/truffles-have-taken-tom-michaels-on-a-wild-ride/article_df026ce0-29ce-11e6-a4ba-077074996893.html

The article is interesting for its extensive coverage of future/upcoming/in-flight projects.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:41 pm

Jenise wrote:French white.

Really? Extreme prices then.
The usual priciest truffles are Piedmont (especially Alba), although white truffles are also found in Umbria and other central Italian regions. Black truffles are mostly from Perigord, plus black summer truffles from Burgundy. Any outlet selling "white French" truffles in late fall/winter should be treated with caution.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Jenise wrote:French white.

Really? Extreme prices then.
The usual priciest truffles are Piedmont (especially Alba), although white truffles are also found in Umbria and other central Italian regions. Black truffles are mostly from Perigord, plus black summer truffles from Burgundy. Any outlet selling "white French" truffles in late fall/winter should be treated with caution.

You're right. I looked again--they were Italian, not French.