Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Puttanesca Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

RCP: Puttanesca Sauce

by Peter May » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 am

So, heavy snow and blocked roads meant our late Sunday lunch at son’s house an hour’s drive away was cancelled, we didn’t go to supermarket on Sunday for same reason, then my monthly dinner out on with chums on Monday was also cancelled.
Joan was out Monday so I had to make myself something from what we had, and did the classic ‘store cupboard’ meal.

Penne with Puttenesca Sauce.

Ingredients

Olive oil
Garlic
Tinned anchovies
Olives
Capers in brine
Chillies
Cayenne Pepper powder
Tin chopped tomatoes
Penne pasta

Method

Put large pan on medium heat add two very large cloves of garlic, sliced then roughly chopped.

Add 6 small anchovies, 3 small chopped chillies, cayenne powder, a dozen or so black olives chopped, and couple of spoonfuls of drained capers.

Stir till garlic starts to colour and anchovies have melted.

Pour excess juice from tin chopped tomatoes and reserve. Add chopped tomatoes to pan and raise heat till bubbling then turn down heat, put lid on pan and simmer. Use back of large spoon to crush any lumps of tomato. (add some reserved juice if sauce dries out, but I didn't need to)

Boil water in large pan, add pasta and cook till al dente, drain in colander. Add pasta to sauce and stir till thoroughly mixed.
I ate this with a salad of chopped iceberg, grape tomatoes, some chopped carrot (didn't have any cucumber), a couple of olives and sprinkled with sunflower seeds accompanied with lasses of Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo.

As I had the TV to myself, I caught up with the latest episode of Peaky Blinders and then started series 5 of Breaking Bad.
A good evening.

Notes: I used 3 'Spike' variety small chilles I'd grown this year and frozen, thought they may not give enough oomph so added some Cayenne pepper. Sauce had a tang but I'm chilli tolerant.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RCP: Puttanesca Sauce

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 am

It sounds like the classic version, Peter. Now I'm hungry for Italian pasta at breakfast time!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 am

Yum! I love puttanesca and haven't made it in ages. Thanks for the reminder, Peter.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:53 pm

I'm also a fan of puttanesca. Works with many red and white wines. Classic Chianti match, is great but also wines that are more fruit forward and riper - many of the Sicilian wines work well.