The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I love Pinot Meunier. There, I said it.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: I love Pinot Meunier. There, I said it.

by Jenise » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm

On and off, I've tasted a few--but very few--sparkling pinot meuniers. Occasionally a blend is purported to contain some, but I can't say I ever zeroed in on exactly what PM brought to the game, I couldn't separate it. Then I tasted a 100% PM made from 50 year old Oregon vines planted by David Lett circa 1975, which was one of the first if not THE very first viniferra vineyard planted in that state and the start of Eyrie Vineyards. His son Jason made that wine. And it was nothing short of spectacular, a 100 pt kind of spectacular (from me, real critics probably never got anywhere near it).

So when a pinot meunier-heavy bubble from a little Champagne house that specializes in Pinot Meunier popped up on Last Bottle at about half it's initial MSRP, I took the plunge for a whole case. Last night we opened one. Actually, we first opened a Laurent Perrier from half bottle recently given to us which was fine but not special, and ultimately a bit boring. However, as such a good blank slate on which to judge the wine to come.

NV Salmon Champagne Montgolfiere Pinot Meunier
Unusually spicy for champagne with notes of raisin, Angostura bitters and nutmeg that remind me of the amazeball Eyrie, persistent fine bubbles and balanced acidity provide good palate texture, and then comes a long and kaleidoscopically complex finish. Didn't just give a buzz, it gave euphoria. Best champagne thrill I've had in a while.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: I love Pinot Meunier. There, I said it.

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Laura and I LOVE Meunier-based Champagnes.

Look for Bereche and Mousse Fils. Great Meunier Champagnes from both. Mousse Fils is also well priced.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 pm

I'll do that!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Any opinions on P-M-based still wines? I liked Randall's (Bonny Doon) Yountville version, and there is a young woman making amazing Pinot-including Meunier and selling them through a new tasting "salon" in Downtown Napa (Poe Wines)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:38 am

I'm with you.

I much prefer Champagne made from black grapes, and much prefer P Meunier to P Noir.

Meunier was the dominant variety in Champagne when I started drinking it, well over 50% of vineyards were planted to Meunier yet then Meunier was never mentioned by the Champenois.

Now I according to www.champagne.fr the percentage of P Noir throughout the expanded Champoagne region has increased to 38% while P Meunier is 32% and Chardonnay 30%.

I avoid Blanc de Blanc and prefer Blanc de Noirs or Champagnes where Chardonnay plays a minor role

When I visit Francis Boulard in Champagne I buy his Les Murgiers - Blanc de Noirs which is 100% P Meunier.

I've also enjoyed the few 100% red still P Meunier wines I've had, last one was from Domain Chandon in California.

I think in the New World sparkling wine makers plant P Noir and Chardonnay because they believe P Noir is 'noble' whereas Meunier is not, and also they can sell still P Noir and Chardonnays..
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:09 pm

I believe I've only had one still pinot meunier, and that was from a California producer. I can't recall the exact name but I think there was an 'St.' in it and a man's name. Like St. George or St. Howard. It was quite fetching and inexpensive.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:37 pm

On one visit, Dr. Frank in the Finger Lakes had a still Meunier available in the tasting room. It wasn't bad, but it made me think that there was a reason why it was mostly used in their sparkling wines - the other reds on offer were superior. Not sure if it is a regular product, probably something only available in the tasting room - it's not on their website.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Better late than never? There is one nice Pinot Meunier Champagne in the BC system - the Michel Loriot Champagne Brut Authentic Meunier. 100% PM, I've had a few bottles already, and really enjoyed the different flavours the PM offers in this champagne. Pricey as usual in BC, but the price might not be too bad in US dollars....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks, John. Made a note: Loriot. Have a carload of bottles to take to the recycler at Morgons Crossing so might be the right time to exercise my 20% currency discount. :)