The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Patchen Markell » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:48 am

Unti Vineyards 2015 Dry Creek Valley Verdicchio. Rich melon and flowers balanced by enough acid and minerality to keep it focused, with a gentle touch of soft wood. Animated, energetic, full-flavored, and seems bigger-boned than I remember the previous bottle being— which isn’t a criticism.

Emrich-Schönleber 2015 Nahe Riesling Kabinett, Monziger. Big for a Kab, broad and deep stone fruit flavors with solid acidity, more chunky (at this stage?) than precisely filigreed, but very tasty nonetheless. Haven’t had this producer before, I think my Nahe experience may be limited to Dönnhoff.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Verdicchio, Riesling

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Lucky to have a nice E-S selection from the Nahe downtown but prices are creeping up.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:47 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:Unti Vineyards 2015 Dry Creek Valley Verdicchio. Rich melon and flowers balanced by enough acid and minerality to keep it focused, with a gentle touch of soft wood. Animated, energetic, full-flavored, and seems bigger-boned than I remember the previous bottle being— which isn’t a criticism..

Wow, good for them for working with verdicchio. I could see this being fun. I remember visiting Unti maybe 10-15 years ago and finding the wines promising for my palate, but still a bit too ripe CA. So wouldn't have expected them to roll with this grape!
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 am

I love Emich-Schonleber, but as I just wrote on another thread, I had a falling out with the importer.

Maybe my New Year's resolution should be not to quarrel with importers, although the business case for picking fights with customers baffles me.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:02 am

ChaimShraga wrote:I had a falling out with the importer.

Ah, yes, the pleasures of being ITB. Sorry to hear it...

Rahsaan wrote:Wow, good for them for working with verdicchio. I could see this being fun. I remember visiting Unti maybe 10-15 years ago and finding the wines promising for my palate, but still a bit too ripe CA. So wouldn't have expected them to roll with this grape!

I think the story is that it's George Unti's favorite Italian white wine, so he insisted on planting some. I drank a lot of Unti from the late 90s to early 00s, then stopped ordering for several years, then started again around 2012. My impression now: the ZInfandel and Italian varieties tend to be brighter and more energetic; the Rhônes feel too heavy for my palate. And, unsusprisingly, I often prefer the simple quaffers to the things designed for aging, as the latter tend to have more wood -- I like the "Segromigno," a Montepulciano/Sangiovese blend, quite a lot, for example. Still might not be your thing, but for me it fills a niche very well.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:08 am

Maybe it’s my Dönnhoff fixation, but Schönleber has never really grabbed me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Rahsaan; the Unti family hails from the Marche, so they found a way (wink, wink) to get some Verdicchio in the ground. They have been dialing back some of the ripeness for a few years, especially with the whites. It should be interesting to see how the wines are when the vines are a few years along.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Rahsaan; the Unti family hails from the Marche, so they found a way (wink, wink) to get some Verdicchio in the ground. They have been dialing back some of the ripeness for a few years, especially with the whites. It should be interesting to see how the wines are when the vines are a few years along.

Sounds great. Will keep an eye out.