The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Who makes the best Merlot?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Who makes the best Merlot?

by Jim Grow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:18 pm

Other than Petrus of course. 2009 Plumpjack Merlot; still very primary with lots of plum and a bit of cassis fruit, very dark purple, tannins have mostly been resolved; may become more complex with 5-10 years ahead due to fine balance but I have no real assurance of this. Given their reputation and location I was thinking this wine may now be very interesting but not yet. Who else throughout the world might be in contention for best Merlot given the previous exception? Maybe Duckhorn? Wash.?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Who makes the best Merlot?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am

Never in my plan to buy but did enjoy at a recent tasting the 2012 Seven Falls Merlot Wahluke Slope from Washington for $24 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

I guess that, in order to make those nominations, you stipulate 100% Merlot. Otherwise I would have very many nominations from right-bank Bordeaux for wines with 50%+ Merlot :wink:.

I recall a 100% Frescobaldi Merlot called Lamaione hailing from Montalcino whose 1995 I thought very fine in 2007, avoiding the flabbiness and jamminess of most 100% Merlot which has come my way, Pétrus always excepted. I don't know if this wine is still produced.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:00 pm

I like the Robert Sinskey Merlot and Merlot-blend (POV) quite a bit. May be up their on my list.

There was also a few years ago a nice Merlot made by AHNFELDT from Coombsville and Silverado Country Club area fruit.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:47 am

My vote for the best domestic Merlot goes to Shafer.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:50 am

Tim York wrote:I guess that, in order to make those nominations, you stipulate 100% Merlot. Otherwise I would have very many nominations from right-bank Bordeaux for wines with 50%+ Merlot :wink:.

I've always argued, Tim, that Bordeaux uses Merlot as a blending grape rather than full-varietal for good reason. ;)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:30 pm

The Matthiasson ‘Red Hen’ Vineyard Merlot is 100% Merlot and outstanding. I would put it up against anything else out there.

To steal from TH, it’s “world class” Merlot.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:02 am

I have not tried enough Merlots to have an opinion about the best one, but a bottle of Ridge Estate Merlot was the best wine I drank in 2016.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I've always argued, Tim, that Bordeaux uses Merlot as a blending grape rather than full-varietal for good reason. ;)

Then you haven't had enough merlot, Miles. :)

There are a lot of outstanding merlots out there. I've always loved them from Napa's Three Palms Vineyards, and here in Washington it's an exceptional product even though a lot of heritage vineyards got pulled out after Sideways turned Merlot into an undeserved joke based not on knowledgeable opinions about high quality grapes and expert winemaking but instead on general ignorance of same and cheap bar wine.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:31 pm

Jenise wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I've always argued, Tim, that Bordeaux uses Merlot as a blending grape rather than full-varietal for good reason. ;)

Then you haven't had enough merlot, Miles. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:19 pm

I'd call Merlot any wine that would qualify in CA for the word (85%, right?). Even in CA there's usually a bit of blending.

Petrus is sometimes all Merlot, always at least 95%. Trotanoy is usually 90+%, and L'Evangile between 85 and 90% and are among my favorite wines. I think Le Pin is 100%, but I've never tasted one. :(

Most St Emilions have considerable amount of CF (and some CS), but Magdelaine is usually at least 90% Merlot, and can be truly great (or could, RIP).

In Italy Massetto is delicious if you can afford it. The Falesco Montiano is 100% and tasty in a modern style at much more modest price.

In CA my favorite is probably Mayacamas. I also have some Beringer Bancrofts from late 80s and early 90s that I enjoy, and had some early 70s Sterlings still holding up lately.

I've never had a Matthiason Merlot, but would love to try. Had my first Ridge recently (2013 vintage), very good.

Now for worst, how about Pride? Actually I'm sure well made, just truly not my style.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'd call Merlot any wine that would qualify in CA for the word (85%, right?). Even in CA there's usually a bit of blending.

Petrus is sometimes all Merlot, always at least 95%. Trotanoy is usually 90+%, and L'Evangile between 85 and 90% and are among my favorite wines. I think Le Pin is 100%, but I've never tasted one. :(

Most St Emilions have considerable amount of CF (and some CS), but Magdelaine is usually at least 90% Merlot, and can be truly great (or could, RIP).

In Italy Massetto is delicious if you can afford it. The Falesco Montiano is 100% and tasty in a modern style at much more modest price.

In CA my favorite is probably Mayacamas. I also have some Beringer Bancrofts from late 80s and early 90s that I enjoy, and had some early 70s Sterlings still holding up lately.

I've never had a Matthiason Merlot, but would love to try. Had my first Ridge recently (2013 vintage), very good.

Now for worst, how about Pride? Actually I'm sure well made, just truly not my style.

75%. But I don't disagree with your point. Had a stunnng '93 Ridge Estate Merlot recently that had been passively stored all it's life! Obviously there would be better bottles but it was nonetheless a marvel.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:58 pm

Until fairly recently, Petrus was not 100% Merlot, so you have to decide whether you are asking for best 100% merlot wines, or best 80% (Petrus in the 50s/60s), or best 90% (Petrus until the turn of the century) or 95% (Petrus some time between 200 and when they finally did go to all merlot). So all Petrus that is in bottle and mature enough to be drinking was at least 10% cab franc.

That aside, I agree that there are many worthy Merlots just on the right bank Bordeaux area. Are we talking about them, or what? Need the ground rules to be clear.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Rules? We don’t need rules.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:That aside, I agree that there are many worthy Merlots just on the right bank Bordeaux area. Are we talking about them, or what? Need the ground rules to be clear.

The original question was: "Who else throughout the world might be in contention for best Merlot given the previous exception (Petrus)?"

So world's your oyster.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:That aside, I agree that there are many worthy Merlots just on the right bank Bordeaux area. Are we talking about them, or what? Need the ground rules to be clear.

The original question was: "Who else throughout the world might be in contention for best Merlot given the previous exception (Petrus)?"

So world's your oyster.

So how much merlot does there have to be in a wine for it to be nominated? 100%? 50%? 5%?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Let’s say 75%, since that is the rule for labeling as the variety in California.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Let’s say 75%, since that is the rule for labeling as the variety in California.

OK, I'll buy that.

I'll put up:

La Mondotte
Trotanoy
Le Bon Pasteur
Falesco Montiano
Pahlmeyer
Nenin in select vintages
Tua Rita
Castello di Ama
Masseto

Might be off on the 75% on some but I'm sure someone will let me know......
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:44 am

There are so many varieties to choose from, and Merlot is not top of my list when looking for a single variety wine, but I bought and have have really enjoyed some bottles of

2014 Peirano Estate Vineyards Merlot The Heritage Collection "Six Clones".

see http://www.peirano.com/peirano-estate-w ... l?bpid=172

We drink a lot of claret, much of it Merlot dominated, but I don't consider that a blend counts, and certainly not one with just 75% of the variety.

Admitting here them admits that Merlot is best as a blending grape. ( :) and takes cover)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:22 pm

If Cabernet Sauvignon was held to the same standards as Merlot...

I am not a huge Merlot drinker by any stretch, but it sure takes a beating from people.