Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Goose sadness

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Goose sadness

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Betsy got some nice fat from a goose roasted on top of carrots, turnips, and parsnips.
Then...
My post-Christmas tasks included (A) goose stock, and (B) rendering the fat that wasn't roasted (pope's nose and other trimming).
A proceeded well, no issues, easy with pressure cooker and got several quarts.
B- I cut up, then used shears to make little bits, rendered in water, then slow cooked till really clear. Probably about a pint (lots less than the roasted, but this is the primo pure fat). Went to basement to get a mason jar. Heard Betsy arrive from an errand, then a scream of dismay. I had strained into a yellow bowl in sink. When she came into kitchen she thought it was a rinsed bowl and dumped contents to put in dishwasher. Realized what it was as it hit drain. Sad......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Goose sadness

by Jenise » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:04 pm

OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But I can match that: when cooking the whole New York prime roasts for our neighborhood wine club Christmas dinner which we had to do in two batches of two 15 pound roasts per, Bob was pulling Batch #1 from the oven and tipped the pan onto his foot. He was wearing wool socks and Croc clogs, so the sizzling grease ran into the shoe which, along with the sock, held the grease on his skin long enough to induce severe second degree burns. The dinner itself was a mere few hours away, so the hospital visit had to wait until the next day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:48 am

Dale Williams wrote:Betsy got some nice fat from a goose roasted on top of carrots, turnips, and parsnips.
Then...
My post-Christmas tasks included (A) goose stock, and (B) rendering the fat that wasn't roasted (pope's nose and other trimming).
A proceeded well, no issues, easy with pressure cooker and got several quarts.
B- I cut up, then used shears to make little bits, rendered in water, then slow cooked till really clear. Probably about a pint (lots less than the roasted, but this is the primo pure fat). Went to basement to get a mason jar. Heard Betsy arrive from an errand, then a scream of dismay. I had strained into a yellow bowl in sink. When she came into kitchen she thought it was a rinsed bowl and dumped contents to put in dishwasher. Realized what it was as it hit drain. Sad......

Oh Dale, that is indeed sad. Poor Betsy.

I’ve just bought a goose for our Christmas in July (easier to source at real Christmas time, although still tricky, not at all common here)
and would love some advice on cooking the beast as I’ve never done one before.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:54 am

Wow - that is sad, Dale. I hope the drain didn't clog, anyway.

And Jenise - poor Bob! Nothing like severe pain to put a dent in a Christmas dinner.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:35 am

Ouch, Bob's story is worse than mine!

Barb, Betsy did the cooking, so no advice, but this is recipe she used and I liked a lot
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/766 ... rs-and-bra
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:36 am

I posted my favorite goose recipe in the duck thread: http://forums.wineloverspage.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60438#p466259
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Love goose fat.

Used the duck fat we got to cook potato wedges.

Also keep all the excess fat that comes off seared foie gras to make an omelet in!
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Dale,

Me too! My mother roasted a goose in a covered roasting pan. I used the drippings to make sauce (essential as they cook
without salt, so you need a watery liquid that can be salted and carry it to the interior of the meat). The half liter of
rendered fat I put in a jar. But then I forgot to pack it on our trip home, so now it's my sister's. At least someone gets to
enjoy it.

Walt
Walter Nissen