The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Years Eve - when do you open the good stuff?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

New Years Eve - when do you open the good stuff?

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:57 pm

So it’s almost time for everyone to stay up until midnight for no real reason. ;)

Champagne/sparkling wine is the traditional celebratory beverage, but drinking top Champagne at midnight can be a bit of a waste. I tend to open the “good stuff” with dinner, then open a good but less exalted wine for the midnight toast (if I am still awake).

What’s your plan for the turning of the new year?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: New Years Eve - when do you open the good stuff?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:58 pm

Not quite sure, Mrs P is trying on some new outfits right now so hard to concentrate on what is happening here :lol: .
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:53 am

What you do is what we do, although there's another alternative for us older folks: Declare midnight on London time, toast at 0000 GMT/UCT, and go to bed. :)
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:55 am

Probably fast asleep! Why stay up?

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:49 am

Fredrik L wrote:Why stay up?

Well for me there is often some good football game on until about 11 or 11:30, so it's only an extra 30-60 minutes.

Not this year though, so zzzzzzzzzzz is highly likely.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:30 pm

We are never going to see 65 again. We are usually asleep by midnight. We do however have a bottle of good champagne earlier in the evening. This year it will be a 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne.
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 pm

I usually open good wine (generally still) with dinner, and then NV Champagne at midnight - no need for tete de cuvee. . But no compulsion to stay up till midnight if we are not at a party- we're having friends for dinner Sun, and haven't decided yet whether to aim for midnight, or celebrate on Rio time
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:05 am

We will be at near-by friends for dinner and to play euchre so a red or white , depending on the menue, and then a nice NV Champagne, maybe Vilmart, at mid-night. Only the hostess and I are real wine lovers so a bit goes a long way.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:15 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Not quite sure, Mrs P is trying on some new outfits right now so hard to concentrate on what is happening here :lol: .

Like the low cut one right now!
no avatar
User

win_fried

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Cologne, Germany

by win_fried » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:06 pm

We will have a 2006 Millésime from Paul Bara for dinner and Sekt-Piccolo for midnight.

Cheers Winfried
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:05 pm

My staying up until midnight days are generally over but if we do make it, I will open something cheap.

I have a sound gig that will wrap up around 7, so we will have some friends and neighbors over to eat some snacks and I plan to open a bottle of Pierre Peters around that time.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm having a six-course dinner party that starts at 8:30. Six of my guests will come from another party where I've severely warned them to "pace themselves". The one couple who ISN'T coming from that party (we were both invited, but we're more sensible) is the couple who are allergic, she believes, to champagne. The spendy stuff Bob and I might open early for ourselves, then, we'll probably reserve till tomorrow unless someone brings something in a similar category. I'll be ready at all levels just in case, but definitely agree with your plan.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:23 pm

It's a dilemma, isn't it? Pop your best bottle at midnight, and either people are too tired to enjoy it, or the quality is wasted. I tend to serve dinner that will go with sparkling wine, and serve my best bottle then. This year it was 2014 Argyle from the Willamette Valley in Oregon. That's still a very fancy bottle of "champagne" in non-geek circles. Then I served a NV Bottex Vin de Bugey du Cerdon at midnight, which also has the advantage of being lower alcohol.

If you have enough guests that you can open a bottle just for toasting at midnight and can afford high-end Champagne, great, but we don't tend to do it that way.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm

One guest brought a $100 champagne. I suggested we open that first and enjoy it while our palates were fresh. From there, we went to the dinner table and around midnight we opened some Pommery and Taittinger from my cellar. In the meantime, the one couple who arrived early, the one with the allergy, were served a $130 bottle of WA cab, and they brought a high-end WA syrah to share that they wouldn't have opened for the other guests. We opened and had glasses of both, then the bottles were corked and set aside when the other guests arrived. The other guests included very good friends and their guests visiting from Seattle. "They drink like fish", I was warned, and neither of them are discerning drinkers. In fact, a broken nose decades ago means the male half of that couple can't even smell what he's drinking.

In the morning we discovered that both bottles of expensive reds had been drained by the Seattle couple to whom they might as well have been cheap plonk.

SIGH. It never occurred to me I had to hide them. Putting the corks on and setting them away from the wine service area should have been enough.

Btw, I know I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm still pissed off so I told the story again. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:51 pm

I treat myself to NV Krug on New Years Eve, and traditionally I've opened it at midnight. But this year I had it earlier in the evening, along with pate.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

by Steve Kirsch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Jenise wrote:
In the morning we discovered that both bottles of expensive reds had been drained by the Seattle couple to whom they might as well have been cheap plonk.

SIGH. It never occurred to me I had to hide them. Putting the corks on and setting them away from the wine service area should have been enough.

Grrrr.