The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Veyder-Malberg GrunerVeltliner Hochrain '15..(short/bor

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Veyder-Malberg GrunerVeltliner Hochrain '15..(short/bor

by TomHill » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Tried this last night w/ our Tart l'Alsacienne:
1. Veyder-Malberg GrunerVeltliner Wosendorfer Hochrain Wachau (13.1%; RS: 0.10%; www.veyder.malberg.at/; CircoVino/Tuscon) Spitz/Wachau 2015: Med.dark gold color; very strong GV/white pepper/floral/carnations slight valve oil some mineral/stony quite aromatic/perfumed bit complex nose; somewhat tart/tangy fairly rich/lush rather spicy/GV/white pepper/floral/carnations/rose very light chalky/mineral/bit metallic attractive flavor; med.short strong perfumed GV/white pepper/carnations/spicy light stony/chalky lush/textured finish; quite an attractive smargd-level GV that finishes a bit short and grossly overpriced at $80.00 (AV)
1. I took a flyer on this wine ystrday. I was stupid. I'd seen this producer's label up in Boulder several times over the last yr, but was hesitant to spring for one because of the price (high-$60's). But saw it here in NM on the shelf for the first time. "Aww...what the heck". I was stupid. The wine is a very good example of smargd-level GV. But it's only one small step above the level of the basic IngridGroiss GV and not even at the level of her vnyd-designate GV's, which are less than half the price. It's nothing profound and I will not revisit this producer again when there are many better ones out there at a fraction of this price. Did I mention that I was stupid??
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Veyder-Malberg GrunerVeltliner Hochrain '15..(short

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Yow! That’s at or above Hirtzberger pricing.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:23 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Yow! That’s at or above Hirtzberger pricing.

My thought exactly. I've been paying in the low $50s for Hirtzberger Hochrain Riesling Smaragds.

Is that a function of Tom's particular store? Or does Veyder-Malberg have some very aggressive pricing in general?
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:29 pm

I paid $55 for the 2014 Veyder-Malberg Hochrain in Chicago; but I think that was a sale price. Same merchant has that wine now for $62 (and none of the 2015 to compare). Obviously, I liked the 2014 enough to buy a few at that price -- but even setting $80 aside, I think I'd agree with Tom's assessment that (for example) Groiss's single-vineyard wines are better value for comparable (or maybe less) money. Knoll, too, IMO.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope....

by TomHill » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 am

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Yow! That’s at or above Hirtzberger pricing.

My thought exactly. I've been paying in the low $50s for Hirtzberger Hochrain Riesling Smaragds.

Is that a function of Tom's particular store? Or does Veyder-Malberg have some very aggressive pricing in general?

Nope, Raashan...the store where I bought it has very reasonable pricing. I just think that V-M has very aggressive pricing. I don’t know if that’s true in Austria.
Tom