The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Annia...go with him

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Annia...go with him

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm

2016 Massican Annia - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/6/2018)
My first bottle of this wine was on a hot, humid summer day. It brought refreshment, as well as intellectual stimulation.

My second bottle was on a day that could not have been more different. Temperatures were hovering below zero. The house was too cold for red wine. I brought this up from the cellar, and left it on the counter, figuring 58 degrees would be a good serving temperature. Soup was simmering, and I opened the wine to that same mélange of pear, peach skin, herb and saline minerality that graced the first bottle so many days (and degree days) ago. It brought a touch of summer sunshine to a bone chilling winter day. It brought joy.

A wine does not need to do anything more.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2016 Massican Annia - USA, California, Napa Valley (1/6/2018)
My first bottle of this wine was on a hot, humid summer day. It brought refreshment, as well as intellectual stimulation.

My second bottle was on a day that could not have been more different. Temperatures were hovering below zero. The house was too cold for red wine. I brought this up from the cellar, and left it on the counter, figuring 58 degrees would be a good serving temperature. Soup was simmering, and I opened the wine to that same mélange of pear, peach skin, herb and saline minerality that graced the first bottle so many days (and degree days) ago. It brought a touch of summer sunshine to a bone chilling winter day. It brought joy.

A wine does not need to do anything more.

Yup, David..you pretty much nailed this. I really love it for that saline/minerality. Just lip-smackin’ good stuff.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: Annia...go with him

by Jim Grow » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 pm

"The house was too cold for red wine"

I just do not "get" this red wine/white wine temp. thing. I drink wine based on what I want or am eating at that moment since I have air conditioning in the summer and a fine wood stove in the winter. I also resent not being able to buy in a restaurant an Imperial Stout in the summer as that is a "winter" beer. What the F#@#. O.K....I feel better now.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:11 pm

Jim,

It was cold enough that the reds were mute.

It’s not dogma, just fact.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 pm

love the title, David; brings back memories... :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:26 am

this is a blend? Still haven;t tried a Massican
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:30 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Jim,

It was cold enough that the reds were mute.

Yes, I think I've written before about facing this problem. Which can be paradoxical because often people think of winter as the time for bigger red wines.

I can usually get a good serving temperature for dinner by keeping the wine near the oven while cooking dinner. But if I'm trying to take the last sips and it's several hours after dinner, things can get pretty hard!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am

Sounds like a white I would enjoy...a blend of ribolla gialla, tocai friulano and chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:21 pm

The winemaker was honored with a very flattering full page spread in this past week's San Francisco Chronicle.

http://projects.sfchronicle.com/2017/wi ... -the-year/

I would like to try his wines as well! Everything you mention (the saline notes!!!) is right up my palate alley.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Meg Maker has tasted a bunch of the Massican wines.

Here's her thoughts on the 2016 Annia: http://terroirreview.com/2017/07/31/201 ... pa-valley/

And a write up about winemaker Dan Petroski: http://terroirreview.com/2016/01/04/a-t ... an-winery/