The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New to wine, looking for a teacher.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Georgetown, ON

New to wine, looking for a teacher.

by Tristan B » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Hello, I am new to wine. It's been a little bit since I have really gotten into wine. It is my favourite hobby and I want to learn more about wine. Can I hope to learn from anyone here?

Tonight, the forecast is cloudy with a 99% chance of wine
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: New to wine, looking for a teacher.

by Howie Hart » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 am

Welcome to the WLDG Tristan. Yes, can learn a lot about wine here, but not necessarily from any individual. There are many very knowledgeable folks here who can offer suggestions on any questions you may have. I notice that you are in Toronto. I would also suggest taking short trips to the Niagara Peninsula, where there are many top quality wineries. Some offer tours, where you can talk with the wine makers. You could learn a lot about grape varieties, grape growing and wine making from them, as well as taste their wines.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tristan B

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 pm

Georgetown, ON

by Tristan B » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:16 am

So about aging wines. I recently bought two bottles of Tomassi Amarone Classico and I'm looking to age them to bring out more flavour. Is this a good idea? and how would i go about doing this?

Tonight, the forecast is cloudy with a 99% chance of wine
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 pm

Tristan, welcome. Yes I would recommend aging your Amarones. You want to lay the bottles on their sides so that the wine remains in contact with the corks, and store them in a cool place that hopefully never exceeds 70F, 55ish is even better. Discreetly date the back labels of the bottles so you know when you laid them down, and plan to drink each at two different intervals at some point in time in the future, say five and ten years respectively (depending on your age and your patience).

And as an aside, joining an online group like this way back when at a time when my excitement about wine was vastly out of proportion to my knowledge was one of the best things I ever did. I would drink a wine and come here and talk about it; and moreover I read tasting notes others had written about wines then bought the same wine and tasted them so that I could look for the same characteristics they described. I had a dozen or so mentors and none of them even knew it! Reading their notes taught me how to think about what I was tasting. I started opening two bottles at a time (presuming we'd drink no more than one a night, and back then only on weekends at that) so that I could watch how wines evolved over 24 and then 48 hours, sometimes longer. I took notes on everything and started posting tasting notes. It literally trained my palate, which is still evolving to this day--it's self-study of the most exciting kind.

You can do the same, and this is a great group to learn from. Tons of knowledge here, but a relatively small group so everyone will feel like friends quickly.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Welcome!

This place will be a great teacher and a lot of fun.

tristan.belo wrote:So about aging wines. I recently bought two bottles of Tomassi Amarone Classico and I'm looking to age them to bring out more flavour. Is this a good idea? and how would i go about doing this?

What Jenise said.

As far as bringing out "more" flavor, I can't say since I do not drink much Amarone but with other wines, I would say it will bring out different flavor and texture. My wife loves young tannic wines. Many wines that people would say are "shut down" or lack flavor.

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Ken Schechet

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 pm

West Palm Beach, Florida

by Ken Schechet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Welcome Tristan. You're in the right place to ask questions.

When I wanted to get a basic foundation of wine knowledge, mostly so I could better match wines with foods, I started with Wine For Dummies. It's actually a very good book written by a very knowledgeable wine writer. Start with that, taste a lot and pay attention to how you react, and ask the people here lots of questions. You'll greatly increase your enjoyment of both wine and food.
Ken
Save the earth! It's the only planet with wine.