Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's discuss trends that need to die

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Let's discuss trends that need to die

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Yeah, it's amazing what sugar finds it's way into when it isn't needed. The one that bugs e most is peanut butter, which needs only one ingredient, peanuts. Most commercial versions have sugar and other adulterants.

http://thenakedlabel.com/blog/2009/03/1 ... -disguise/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Yeah, it's amazing what sugar finds it's way into when it isn't needed. The one that bugs e most is peanut butter, which needs only one ingredient, peanuts. Most commercial versions have sugar and other adulterants.

http://thenakedlabel.com/blog/2009/03/1 ... -disguise/

I wish I could agree with you, but unfortunately I do like my peanut butter non-separating and with some sugar. I did switch from Peter Pan to Jif, though, which is less sweet. I probably only eat about one sandwich per year, so it's not much of a sin. Bobby, though, he's BAD.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Take look at the article I referenced - Jif has more crap in it than any of the others.

I also like a little salt on peanut butter - like on everything else it enhances flavour in moderation.

I don't care much about the oil separation - you can always pour some of it off or put the jar in the cupboard upside down.....or http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/how- ... 1d30728bfc and http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity. ... n-problem/
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 am

Put me down on the side of the "natural" peanut butter. Skippy and Jif just don't have the same kind of flavor as Laura Scudder or (especially) the Maranatha roasted peanut butter, which is amazingly good. Nonetheless, we always have a big container of Jif in the pantry as that is what's preferred for my wife's baking activities. And it's not like I won't eat that if we don't have the other kind around....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 am

Indeed. Not sure if it is the bottling process or what. But we get our peanut (and almond) butter from nuts that we grind at the store (pretty standard at WF and other similar stores) and it stays smooth and integrated for its entire shelf life at the house (usually a week or so). Maybe that wouldn't happen if we had huge batches that sat around for weeks or months. But why do that.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 am

Might be the freshness: I think it takes a little while for the oil to come up, so if you grind it and eat it within a short time frame there just may not be enough time for anything bad to happen.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:06 pm

Regarding peanut butter, I use Teddie brand, which is not homogenized and has no added sugar. For cooking (e.g. peanut sauce for satay) I use the unsalted version, which has but one ingredient: peanuts. I like the salted version for peanut butter sandwiches.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Paul Winalski wrote: For cooking (e.g. peanut sauce for satay) I use the unsalted version, which has but one ingredient: peanuts. I like the salted version for peanut butter sandwiches.

-Paul W.

I just keep the one kind - unsalted, and usually give a sandwich a little sprinkle of salt as I agree with you that it enhances taste.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:06 am

Whilst I love panko it is time for the current trend of ONLY using panko for ALL breading needs to end. There are items where a finer more elegant breading is more suitable.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 pm

Barbara, I'm with you on that. Now I do use a lot of panko, am never without it, but there's always a baggie of soft bread crumbs from leftover breads in my freezer as an alternative.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous