Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: A brilliant little cauliflower canape

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: A brilliant little cauliflower canape

by Jenise » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:51 pm

Someone brought the most brilliant little appetizer to my last neighborhood wine tasting. Two important details: one, she's NOT a cook, so it was actually a surprise that she would attempt something like this and then absolutely nail it; and two, she got it from the Great British Baking Show.

It was made by one of the contestants who made a tableau of little canapes that looked like a vegetable garden. For this one, she baked off tiny cheese scones, removed the tops, placed on each a little cut-out of lettuce about 1/4" larger than the approximately 1" diameter perfectly round scoop of cauliflower puree. Each was the spitting image of a miniature cauliflower, and they were beautiful, clever and so so GOOD. She departed from the recipe only to skip the final dusting of nutmeg, thinking that would make them look dirty (good choice I thought).

The filling would be excellent inside some little cocktail peppers, too, for a more paleo-oriented presentation.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients for cauliflower topping:
• freshly ground black pepper
• few pinches grated nutmeg
• handful chives
• 14 oz cauliflower
• 3½ oz garlic and herb cream cheese
• 1½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp Dijon mustard

Ingredients for scones:
• 10½ oz self-rising flour, plus extra for flouring
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp pepper
• 3½ oz unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
• handful chives, finely chopped
• 3½ oz Comté, grated (alternatively use Gruyère)
• 5 fl oz full-fat milk

Instructions – Cauliflower Puree
• Preheat the oven to 225
• Place some water in a large saucepan with a little black pepper, a pinch of grated nutmeg and the chives and dill.
• Steam the cauliflower over the flavored water until cooked. Place the cooked cauliflower in a roasting tray and bake in the preheated oven until dry. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
• Blend the cooked cauliflower using a stick blender or food processor. Add the garlic and herb cream cheese, salt, Dijon mustard and a pinch of grated nutmeg and black pepper.

Instructions – Cheese Scones
• Peheat the oven to 375 and line a baking tray with non-stick baking parchment.
• Sift the flour, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
• Mix in the chopped chives and grated cheese.
• Gradually mix in the milk until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
• Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and very gently knead to create a smooth, soft dough.
• Gently roll out the dough to about ½ inch thick and cut into rounds with a 1½ in round pastry cutter.
• Place the scones on the prepared baking tray and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until risen, lightly golden-brown and crisp.
• Remove from the oven and leave to cool.

Instructions – Assembly
• Cut the top off each scone.
• Spoon the purée into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a little of the mixture on the top of each scone.
• Remove some leaves from the Little Gem or other leafy lettuces and, using a 2 inch fluted pastry cutter, cut through the leaves to create circles which will represent the leaves of a cauliflower. Place a lettuce circle on top of each scone and press gently to help it stick to the purée. Pipe more purée on top of the lettuce (to resemble the florets of a cauliflower) and finish with a fine grating of nutmeg.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: RCP: A brilliant little cauliflower canape

by Christina Georgina » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:31 pm

No doubt any number of “I don’t like/eat cauliflower “ people were swayed first by the appearance and possibly surprised that they do like cauliflower. Optics, an au courante word are incredibly important. Who hasn’t gotten away with a dish that you personally were less than totally satisfied with because of beautiful presentation, especially after drinks and a bottle or two of wine.
A very lovely idea for a versatile and under used vegetable.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:57 pm

Christina, so right. And cauliflower is such a brilliant flavor chameleon. I personally watched a guy who won't eat "any vegetable spelled with more than four letters" devour two of these in successive gulps. He thought he was just eating cheese.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 pm

I've had cauliflower soup that could pass for vichyssoise.

Not on purpose, mind you.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 am

Jenise wrote: He thought he was just eating cheese.

Not surprising since there's 7oz of cheese flavouring 14 oz of pureed cauliflower
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:12 pm

Sounds great. I showed to Betsy (if I say "Jenise approved" it's a big boost on any recipe I mention). Then I looked this up for image from British Bakeoff , and discovered it's not just cauliflower, but a whole garden with carrots and tomatoes too. Now she wants to do whole thing./

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/legume_canaps_26578

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/539446861590703170/
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Peter May wrote:

Not surprising since there's 7oz of cheese flavouring 14 oz of pureed cauliflower

2:1? You sound a little shocked, but I would advise you to look at it from the opposite POV. It's something that's two thirds vegetable that has the luxurious mouthfeel and flavor of close to 100% cheese. That's quite a feat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Sounds great. I showed to Betsy (if I say "Jenise approved" it's a big boost on any recipe I mention). Then I looked this up for image from British Bakeoff , and discovered it's not just cauliflower, but a whole garden with carrots and tomatoes too. Now she wants to do whole thing./

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/legume_canaps_26578

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/539446861590703170/

Wow, thanks for that compliment. And for looking up and posting the pic. I knew about the garden (that was in my description) but wasn't able to establish a link to show it all.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 am

Thanks Jenise. I’ve just made some of the cauliflower purée and it is sensational! I am just using it on lettuce cups as a side to our evening meal tonight but it is certainly a keeper, for many apps I suspect.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Jenise wrote:
Peter May wrote:

2:1? You sound a little shocked, but I would advise you to look at it from the opposite POV. It's something that's two thirds vegetable that has the luxurious mouthfeel and flavor of close to 100% cheese. That's quite a feat.

Not shocked, or surprised. Cauliflower has a mild flavour, it was swamped by the cheese.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Btw, Peter, I just re-read the recipe. It's not 7 ounces of cheese, just 3 and a half. So, swamped? Don't see it.