Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Quick Morroccan Chicken With Olives and Lemon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: RCP: Quick Morroccan Chicken With Olives and Lemon

by Bill Spohn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:30 pm

I think you can 'tune' a dish with olives. You'll get a bit different overall impression with the dish if you use, say, Castelvetrano than if you use a dark salty black olive.

Many recipes for tapenade use a Nicoise olive that use an oil cured black or green olive, and that gives one taste, but I always use the black shriveled sundried olives even though you spend a half hour pitting them, as it gives a much more concentrated flavour. Another (in my view) necessary component of tapenade is anchovy - you need that salty umami hit. (I always waver between lying when someone asks if there are anchovies, or just telling the truth and letting them deny themselves because of an irrational preconception that they can't eat them.)

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Agree pretty much. I love oil-cured black (Nicoise) olives and always have them on hand. They're immortal, or at least they'll stay pretty nice up to a year if containered well. I buy them in small vats at a small Mediterranean market here. They'd be good in this dish too, but I would always go green because that is the Morroccan tradition.

Probably my favorite use of them is in what I call Beef Nicoise. Essentially, it's the Mediterranean-French version of Beef Bourgogne and as is typical of that Cuisine of the Sun--lighter and brighter. Some tomato and lots of orange peel are included in the cook, and I finish it with these gorgeous oil-cured olives.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:52 pm

They're also a beautiful garnish. Here are some I 'candied' to make the bridge the gap between the salty olive and the fruity (not sweet) l'orange sauce I topped this roast duck with.

20160326_195840_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm

That picture reminds me of an oddball ice cream I once saw - orange and black olive. Not a big dessert fan so didn't taste it but always wondered how well it worked.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:05 pm

I think that makes more sense to me as a sorbet than an ice cream.

But the olives were great here. In fact, that was the best roast duck I've ever had.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:19 am

Jenise wrote:In fact, that was the best roast duck I've ever had.

It certainly looks good.

Can you post the Beef Nicoise recipe? That sounds interesting.
Previous