Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cooking for Easter or Passover? Family traditions?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cooking for Easter or Passover? Family traditions?

by Jenise » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:54 pm

Bob and I don't. We're not religious, and to the extent we believe anything it doesn't extend to pastel bunnies and all that. But we're always game for a fun time, so maybe sometimes we do something playful.

Best Easter thing I ever did: bought big colorful plastic eggs and stuffed my husband's entire lunch into about six of them. He took it to work and put the bag in the fridge without looking inside. Come lunch, he grabbed the bag--only one left by that point--to a table with some friends and apparently just upended it to dump the contents. Eggs rolled around. His first thought was, "Oh damn, someone took my lunch!!!" And then it dawned on him, "she WOULD do that". So he opened one of the eggs and recognized my 'cooking'. I guess he could hardly concentrate all afternoon for laughing over it.

As kids, before Mom became a Jehovah's Witness that is, we always had a roast ham. Grammy would come over with a yam casserole (the kind with brown sugar and marshmallows) and candy to put in our baskets. Chocolate bunnies for everyone else, Jordan almonds for me. After the religious conversion: nothing, of course.

Thinking about that today, I'm rebelling with a variation: choucroute garni. Later, we'll watch the John Legend and Alice Cooper in Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Jesus Christ Superstar".

You?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Cooking for Easter or Passover? Family traditions?

by Dale Williams » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:54 pm

Betsy is Jewish based on matriarchal line, though she only found out when about 8-10. I grew up typical Southern Baptist (ham on Easter), but have been to lots of seders. Some years we are invited to a seder (I love the food). Not this year, last night Betsy bought gefilte fish at Epstein's deli, made matzoh ball soup (mix, but in killer broth), did carrots with prunes. I did a tiny (1.5 lb) hunk of brisket in slow cooker with onion, broth, and tawny port. No religious significance, just honoring her heritage and her step-grandmother.

Her sister usually does a huge Easter party of friends, mostly from their church. Often we bring the ham, plus deviled eggs and asparagus. But this year BiL is getting in late Sat night, they arent having the party. So smaller group, Betsy is doing deviled eggs, I'm bringing a leg of lamb (marinating in garlic/rosemary/ anchovy/lemon paste). I'll always choose lamb over ham. Though I did get interested in a NYTimes article about a stuffed ham tradition in Maryland.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:21 am

Not religious, and no family traditions.
I did vaguely think my cassoulet was the type of dish one would serve after a Long period of fasting, and a long winter. Sausage, speck, confit duck, beans etc.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Ham
Green beans
Potato salad
Mac and Cheese
Feather Rolls (a la Fannie Farmer)
Deviled eggs
Banana Pudding

Some things I just can't not do!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:58 pm

I always lobbied for lamb, but we always had a ham. Oddly, my wife says she had turkey (!?).

Today I'd probably choose rabbit - the kids would be lapin it up!

(This year I did pork tenderloin, dusted with ground fennel seeds, accompanied by fennel sections as a veg.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:17 pm

Dale, we've been included in a few seders and absolutely loved the experience. I totally admire the detailed yet joyful traditions--in fact the part of me that found my mother's religion stifling and heavily somber envies that a lot.

Jo Ann, I want to come to your house!

Bill--turkey? Odd choice. Perhaps her parents weren't inventive cooks?

Okay, a confession: after posting this yesterday I bought a ham. There's a local ham/sausage producer (Jo Ann would know them, Hemplers--their stuff is available all over the state but the company itself is in the next town over to me, so VERY local) and while shopping for sausage for my choucroute, I spied butt ends for $1.99/lb. I couldn't NOT buy one. No idea what I'll do with it, but one had to come home with me--maybe a pot of braised ham with long-cooked green beans.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:14 pm

No religious impulse here, either. Making cassoulet -- last hurrah of Winter.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:59 pm

I grew up eating ham for Easter, but have not retained that tradition. Over the years, we've done some Easter-oriented foods for the occasion (Pizza Rustica comes to mind), but we don't have any consistent Easter meal.

Tonight, it's porchetta, mashed potatoes, and roasted asparagus and morels.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:43 am

Our family's Easter tradition was roast lamb.

-Paul W.