The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Off-Beet Wines/Whites&Reds...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Off-Beet Wines/Whites&Reds...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:05 pm

We tasted last week (4/4/18) Some Off-Beet Varietals:
1. BallaGezaWnry Mustoasa de Moderat Vin Alb Sec DOC: Minis (12.5%; www.Ballageza; Lot 298) Arad/Romania
: Med.light gold color; rather floral/bit CB-like/very appley/pear/bit citrus/spicy slight earthy/
stony quite attractive perfumed nose; fairly tart/tangy/metallic light bodied quite floral/CB-like/pear/
green apple/spicy light earthy/mineral/chalky quite attractive flavor; very long tart/tangy/bit metallic
very floral/appley/CB-like/pear some stony/mineral/chalky finish; a light-weight very attractive perfumed
white much like a Swiss Fendant or Savoie Jacquere. $17.00 (BDW)
angel food cake very fragrant floral/apple blossom nose; bit soft/lush slight graham cracker/spicy/
angel food cake very floral/apple blossom/peach fairly spicy flavor; very long/lingering lovely spicy/
graham cracker/apple blossom/poached pear/floral finish; a terrific white that has really evolved since
release; beautiful aromatics. $28.00
saline/savory very perfumed/floral/Albarino finish; a lovely Calif rendition of Galacias Albarino that shows
a bit of the mineral/saline character that you get from breezes off the nearby Atlantic. $28.00
orangey/honeyed/honey comb bit tannic/astringent graham cracker rather savory complex exotic flavor; very
long/lingering light phenolic/resiny strong honeyed/honey comb bit strawberry/Trousseau-like slight earthy/savory
complex finish w/ light astrigent tannins; obvious tannic/astringent character that should drop w/ age;
light phenolic/resiny character; a lovely skin-contact white/rose that will benefit from 3-6 yrs of age. $30.00
bronze color; very light phenolic/resiny/skin-contact lovely orangey/honeyed/honeycomb slight graham cracker/earthy
slight caramel/flan very exotic/complex beautiful nose; lightly tart very light phenolic/resiny/skin-contact honeyed/
honeycomb/orangey/tangerine slight graham cracker balanced exotic/complex flavor w/ light tannic bite; very
long/lingering light phenolic/resiny exotic/savory/rich/lush/balanced honeycomb/honeyed/orangey complex finish w/
slght tannic bite; low-key phenolic character but lots of exotic other stuff; maybe the best skin-contact white
I've tried at a great price. $30.00 (BDW)
6. Batic Zaria v.o. Vipavska Dolina ZariaVnyd (13%; www.Batic.Si; Brl.#3/5 for www.BlueDanubeWine.com;
55% Pinela/20% Zelen/14% Rebula/5% Vitovska/3% Klarnica/2% Rumeni Muskat/1% Chardonnay) 2014
: Same burnished bronze
color; much stronger phenolic/very resiny/skin-contact/cidery light orangey/honeycomb slight Zweiback teething biscuit
bit dusty/earthy complex nose; quite tart/tangey fairly phenolic/resiny/skin-contact light Zweiback biscuit rather
savory/saline/metallic slight oxidative bit earthy/dusty complex flavor w/ light astringent tannins; very long/
lingering strong phenolic/very resiny/skin-contact bit orangey/honeycomb slight earthy/dusty bit Zweiback biscuit
some complex finish w/ modest astringent tannins; not as exotic and smooth on the palate as the Angel but should
age very well and may one day be the equal. $40.00 (BDW)
very long earthy/mushroomy/Lodi/loamy fairly plummy/Mataro-like slight floral finish w/ light ripe tannins;
fairly perfumed/aromatic and vaguely Portugese-like w/ lots of Lodi/mushroomy character; quite a nice if bit
rustic red. $26.00
lightly tart strong plummy/Mourv-like/slight herbal rather earthy/dusty/ElDorado structured finish w/ some
hard/gruff tannins; a more serious expression of Alvarelhao but a bit on the rustic side; needs more age yet;
great price at $23.00
spicy/smokey rather intense nose; rather tart some toasty/oak strong black cherry/boysenberry/licorice/bit
pungent quite structured lovely flavor w/ ample hard/crunchy/ripe tannins; very long/lingering strong black
cherry/boysenberry/licorice light toasty/oak structured fairly extracted finish w/ some hard/crunchy tannins;
a bit on the expensive side for a F-H red but this is a serious red; a bit Rioja-like w/o all the oak; quite
a good red that needs age. $43.00
ZagNut/coconut/oak intense boysenberry/blackberry/licorice/Syrah-like slight earthy bit herbal/thyme slight
alcoholic flavor w/ ample hard/ripe tannins; verl long/linger intense blackberry/boysenberry/licorice/Charbono
slight earthy/rustic dusty/OV some oak finish w/ ample ripe tannins; maybe one of the best Charbonos ever made;
maybe worth the hefty price tag; very structured and should age for yrs; a stunning expression of Charbono.
$75.00
bit herbal rather Burgenland-like light floral/lilacs fragrant complex beautiful nose some tart/tangy bit
herbal/loamy/earthy strong blackberry/StL/licorice light toasty/oak flavor w/ light ripe/smooth tannins;
very long/lingering strong blackberry/StL/licorice slight herbal light toasty/oak bit tart/metallic/pungent
finish w/ modest smooth tannins; probably Matt's best StL yet and some of the earthiness you get from
Burgenland; beautiful StL at a great price. $28.00
complex flavor w/ modest ripe/smooth tannins; very long/lingering strobg blueberry/blackberry/StL/licorice
rather earthy/loamy lightly tart complex finish w/ some ripe tannins; speaks loud & clear of Burgenland StL;
maybe the best Burgenland StL I've yet had; a like the Moric (rather Burgundian) and the RosiSchuster a lot,
but this may be the best yet. $40.00 (BDW)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
More barfreeble from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Mustoasa de Moderat: This is a grape that is probably indigenous to Western Romania. Obviously, one that
should being planted all up&down the coast of Calif. One person in my group keeps track of all the different
grape varieties he's tasted (on little 3x5 file cards...would you believe). This brought him up to 198.
The countdown to 200 is starting. I am such an enabler.
MattRorick had convinced RogerKing to plant some GreenHungarian for him. It came from a single vine in the
LibraryVnyd in StHelena & Matt had it propagated. Thus far, the GH, on its own, has been pretty lean & acidic.
But I have the utmost confidence that Matt will one day return GH to its glory days it enjoyed under
FredWeibel and GusSebastiani.
control. There is a small but passionate group of Charbono fans. Wish there were more planted in Calif, but
most of it is planted in the high-rent district known as NapaVlly. It is mostly grown in Argentina, where it
is called Bonarda. No relation to the several Bonardas of the Veneto region.
wine.
away by it. I sent my TN to FrankDeitrich/BlueDanube and he urged me to try the Zaria. So ordered more of the Angel
and a Zaria to try.
I was again blown away by the Angel. I liked the Zaria quite a bit as well, but preferred the Angel. Whether the
Zaria will equal the Angel w/ 5 yrs more of age...I have no idea.
When I visited the TIC in Vipava, the guy there found out I was interested in wine and hustled me across the
alley-way to the tasting room and started pulling corks. Of the wines I tried, the Batic wines stood out for me.
Miha Batic is the primary driver of the operation, though I gather his father is still heavily involved. The
vnyds are all BioDynamic. They are farmed by the PCS (Physics-based Cropping System). Though my physics credentials
are probably rather weak, I have no idea what this system means. But if it uses Physics, it's gotta be good.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Some Off-Beet Wines/Whites&Reds...(long/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:09 pm

Golden beets? Roasted beets?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:12 pm

Very interesting lineup, Tom. Our County (Solano) seems to be a repository of "forlorn" varieties! Hidden away in nooks and crannies.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 am

I had a Batic wine a while back that was relatively oxidized and very alcoholic tasting, not an experience I'd want to revisit, especially at $40..
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmmm...

by TomHill » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:58 am

Mark S wrote:I had a Batic wine a while back that was relatively oxidized and very alcoholic tasting, not an experience I'd want to revisit, especially at $40..

Do you remember which one it was, Mark??
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: Hmmmm...

by Mark S » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am

TomHill wrote:
Mark S wrote:I had a Batic wine a while back that was relatively oxidized and very alcoholic tasting, not an experience I'd want to revisit, especially at $40..

Tom

Ok, it was the Pinela (Batic Pinela Vipavska Dolina Slovenia 2008). I think originally it was upper $30's, but I paid less. It came in an interesting bottle shape, which I saved because it was so unique.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Ahhh...Yes

by TomHill » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:12 am

Mark S wrote:
TomHill wrote:

Tom

Ok, it was the Pinela (Batic Pinela Vipavska Dolina Slovenia 2008). I think originally it was upper $30's, but I paid less. It came in an interesting bottle shape, which I saved because it was so unique.

Ahhhh, yes, Mark. I remember that btl.
Tom wrote:8. Batic Pinela V.O. Vipavska Dolina ZGP: Kakovostno (www.Batic-Wines.com; 13.5%) 2013: Med.light gold color; light
ly
flowery/aromatic bit metallic/earthy/grapefruity/mineral some waxy/parafin/plastic/vinyl slight phenolic/
skin-contact nose; lightly tart/tangy/metallic citric/grapefruity bit waxy/figgy/parafin slight skin-contact/
phenolic/earthy flavor; very long light flowery/grapefruity/waxy bit tangy/metallic slightly washed-out finish;
a pleasant if a bit rustic wine but not one of the better examples of Pinella. $29.95 (BDWC)

I'm not sure that Pinela does well w/ age. In the '13, the phenolic/skin-contact character was pretty low. So that
may have been why.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Ahhh...Yes

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:25 pm

TomHill wrote:not one of the better examples of Pinella.

Because there is only one good example...
LP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm

[slow clap]
cheers, Patchen