Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Music to clean up by

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Music to clean up by

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 pm

It's the end of the evening. The guests have left and it's just you in the kitchen (with, perhaps your spousal type) getting things back in order. What do you put on the sound system for this occasion?

I tend towards jazzy vocal stuff. Norah Jones is one who often gets the nod for this, maybe Billie Holiday. Back in my younger days, I might have put on something much more upbeat and loud as I might very well have been continuing the evening. These days, though, I am pretty much doing as much cleanup as I can handle before toddling off to bed, so I want something calm.

Anyone else have any favorites for this sort of thing?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Music to clean up by

by Howie Hart » Tue May 08, 2018 4:46 am

I get most of my work around the house done while listening to Blues. Nothing in particular, just what is on the cable channel.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 am

"Cleaning"...?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:37 am

Not specifically kitchen-clearing, but my favourite music to do general housework to is Dion and the Belmonts. Loud. With "The Wanderer" on repeat at some stage in the proceedings.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:15 am

Smooth jazz acoustic guitar, alto sax or male vocals (especially Al Jarreau).
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:58 am

If there have been a bunch of people over, then I did all the shopping and cooking and serving. So, Pumpkin does the cleanup. It's usually late so we don't play anything that would disturb the neighbors.

House-cleaning is a grim matter, best completed as soon as is humanly possible. Fidgeting with a radio will only extend it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 pm

While there would be a rationale for Telemann (Tafelmusik) I usually opt for light jazz - nothing I have to concentrate on to appreciate.

BTW, are you jazz aficionados aware that they have released a 'lost' Coltrane album? "Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album" from a session in the 60s. Ships the 29th of this month.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8460040/john-coltrane-album-new-song
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:58 am

The drudgery of cleaning (and yard work) requires energetic music. Live at Leeds (The Who) is a favorite. How The West Was Won (Led Zeppelin) is another good choice.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:59 am

Cooking and cleaning, almost always Ryan Adams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmGEZDAgtHQ

Sometimes Pretenders 1 or Missing Persons.

Jason
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Man, you guys are old.

8)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Actually, during clean up phase, my wife gets to choose music as she is doing most of it - I prep and cook and she cleans up - a routine that suits us both and was developed over the years by mutual agreement.

Oddly, while I cook I most often listen to Baroque classical, and when she cleans up, it is usually Hendrix at some volume, ensuring that neither myself nor the neighbours go to bed before she is finished...
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Oddly, while I cook I most often listen to Baroque classical, and when she cleans up, it is usually Hendrix at some volume, ensuring that neither myself nor the neighbours go to bed before she is finished...

Man, you guys are old.

:lol:
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:17 pm

Hey - I am a rock and blues fan from way back, but spent 8-10 years listening to nothing but classical when popular music took a detour in the 1980s rather than enduring disco and new wave, but with some attention to the artists still creating good rock and blues. And I continued to enjoy jazz, although I'd agree that most attention was to pre-Bitches Brew Miles (to choose just one artist as an indicator of the new jazz style).

Today, I mostly listen to modern folk, and post 2000 pop - probably small indie artists most people have never heard of, and I continue to listen to people like Shawn Colvin and John Gorka from the old days.