The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old School in the Middle of Nowhere

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Old School in the Middle of Nowhere

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 14, 2018 10:52 am

Nichelini Family Winery, on Sage Mill Road, of course!

Fifth Generation!

They were having a wine release for the club, and it was a lot of fun. A nice vibe. I am severely culling clubs, but this is one I would consider. :oops:

Anyway, their "Sauvignon Vert" is now labeled Muscadelle. Not "profound", but very quaffable and pleasant.

The Cabernets were, on the other hand, rather impressive in the richer Napa style. Plenty of licorice. Some nice structure as well. Earthy notes, with the reserve bottling showing darker fruit. Delicious.

The surprise of the visit, though, was the deliciously yeasty sparkler. Very refreshing!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Mon May 14, 2018 11:10 am

Brian K Miller wrote:Nichelini Family Winery, on Sage Mill Road, of course!

Fifth Generation!

They were having a wine release for the club, and it was a lot of fun. A nice vibe. I am severely culling clubs, but this is one I would consider. :oops:

Anyway, their "Sauvignon Vert" is now labeled Muscadelle. Not "profound", but very quaffable and pleasant.

The Cabernets were, on the other hand, rather impressive in the richer Napa style. Plenty of licorice. Some nice structure as well. Earthy notes, with the reserve bottling showing darker fruit. Delicious.

The surprise of the visit, though, was the deliciously yeasty sparkler. Very refreshing!

Yup, Brian...Nichelini is very much old-school. Amy Sunseri is the winemaker there. She also makes the wines at New Clairivaux, north of Sacramento.
Not had the latest SauvVert/Muscadelle/Friulano yet, but it's always been a good quaff along the lines of a TokajiFriuliano from Friuli. Nothing profound, though.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Old School in the Middle of Nowhere

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 14, 2018 5:42 pm

Not sure I am worthy of "profound" wines, Tom! So, I will take the Muscadelle!

I was driving home from Napa Valley and decided to drive the fun roads instead of the clogged freeway/Highway 12 connection. I have to say the make is not "prestigious", but I love driving my little Ford on mountain roads. (Visited Bonny Doon on Sunday, as I can handle driving Highway 17 once in a weekend, I drove Highway 1 and Highway 84 and Skyline back. I love California in the spring!)

I actually stopped at New Clairvaux once right before closing time. Bought a Syrah, I recall! Really beautiful place!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach