The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Adam Gopnik: On Randall Grahm

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Adam Gopnik: On Randall Grahm

by TomHill » Tue May 15, 2018 10:22 am

As linked in WineTerroirist, a fascinated read by AdamGopnik on RandallGrahm:
Gopnik:Randall ,
sort of retelling Randall's life in wine. It's a pretty long article, so you'll want to print it out & read it at your leisure...or buy the magazine.
I have, of course, followed Randall from the very start and count him as a good friend. Is mom&dad, Ruth & Allan, were two of the finest people I've met and have shared several meals together. I always ask about Ruth when I see him & occasionally exchange notes with her. A real live-wire.

When I listen to a presentation by Randall, I always time him to his first usage of "counter-intuitive", one of his favorite words. His record is 3 min/17 sec here in SantaFe.

For those of you who have followed Randall, you'll find this a very entertaining read. For those of you who haven't, you'll just dismiss him as a nut-case...or a very clever marketeer. That would be a mistake.

Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Adam Gopnik: On Randall Grahm

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm

TomHill wrote: I have, of course, followed Randall from the very start and count him as a good friend. Is mom&dad, Ruth & Allan, were two of the finest people I've met and have shared several meals together. I always ask about Ruth when I see him & occasionally exchange notes with her. A real live-wire. Tom

I am a major fan of Bonny Doon, and I was just in Davenport on Sunday. We are having a seriously marine-influenced late spring/early summer (the fog is coming all the way into Solano County this week), so I did not go cycling (my OTHER excuse for being a BD club member), but I enjoyed the wines and the drive along the twisty roads.

Randall I have met a couple of times, and he is as you describe, a live wire. I really like his ethos as well as the wines!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Syrah...

by TomHill » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
TomHill wrote: I have, of course, followed Randall from the very start and count him as a good friend. Is mom&dad, Ruth & Allan, were two of the finest people I've met and have shared several meals together. I always ask about Ruth when I see him & occasionally exchange notes with her. A real live-wire. Tom

I am a major fan of Bonny Doon, and I was just in Davenport on Sunday. We are having a seriously marine-influenced late spring/early summer (the fog is coming all the way into Solano County this week), so I did not go cycling (my OTHER excuse for being a BD club member), but I enjoyed the wines and the drive along the twisty roads.

Randall I have met a couple of times, and he is as you describe, a live wire. I really like his ethos as well as the wines!

Randall (and Bob Lindquist) still takes Syrah grapes from the old X-Block of BienNacido and it's still one of
the best Syrahs made in Calif.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed May 16, 2018 4:14 pm

I thought Tom meant that Ruth was the live wire! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 pm

Reading about Heidegger and Grahm in the same article is a little too worlds-colliding for me. But my question is: if Parker is the Clem of wine, who’s the Harold?
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 am

That was a fun way to waste twenty minutes.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu May 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Interesting article. Especially the part about creating a new grape variety from lots of others.

Kooky or visionary or both? Unfortunately we probably won't live to see, but nice that he is trying.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Thu May 17, 2018 1:08 pm

you're a fast reader, David! :D
Last edited by SteveEdmunds on Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu May 17, 2018 3:01 pm

Thanks for the pointer to this article. I continue to be a big fan of Randall Grahm's wines, and I find his quirky labels entertaining. I remember when Bonny Doon's first Ca' del Solo Itanlianesque wines were released. The labels were such an accurate parody of the Vietti label style that I walked by them a couple of times in the wine store before I realized they weren't Vietti wines!

My favorite line in the whole article is "It's like evaluating music based on how loud it's played." That precisely summarizes my opinion of over-oaked fruit bomb wines.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

And...

by TomHill » Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Thanks for the pointer to this article. I continue to be a big fan of Randall Grahm's wines, and I find his quirky labels entertaining. I remember when Bonny Doon's first Ca' del Solo Itanlianesque wines were released. The labels were such an accurate parody of the Vietti label style that I walked by them a couple of times in the wine store before I realized they weren't Vietti wines!

My favorite line in the whole article is "It's like evaluating music based on how loud it's played." That precisely summarizes my opinion of over-oaked fruit bomb wines.

-Paul W.

And you probably remember his first Roussannes (which actually turned out to be Viognier) with the little
plastic top hat in loo of a capsule. Do you remember what he called that wine?? It's not popping
up in my mind (be assured...nothing to do with old age).
And the Bannana Slug Roussanne as well??
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 17, 2018 10:22 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:My favorite line in the whole article is "It's like evaluating music based on how loud it's played."

Mine as well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri May 18, 2018 12:58 am

Le Sophiste
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:I thought Tom meant that Ruth was the live wire! :D

I think she did. And I've met Ruth too--it's very clear where Randall got his personality.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 pm

I remember Le Sophiste and the top hat. Viognier appears to be one grape that defeated Randall Grahm's viticultural skills. Viognier has a reputation in the Rhone for being a cussedly difficult variety to grow, and Grahm found out why big-time. According to an interview with him that I read, Grahm planted a block of viognier. In its first year of production, the aroma from the flowers was so strong that the bees went into a frenzy and knocked a lot of the blossoms off the vines. In the fall, the remaining grapes ripened unevenly--they were hard and green on one side and sunburned on the other side. The following spring the vines all died of oidium. Grahm replanted the block to another variety.

-Paul W.