The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Undhof, Sandhi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Undhof, Sandhi

by Patchen Markell » Mon May 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Salomon Undhof 2013 Kremstal Riesling, Erste Lage, "Undhof Kögl." Apparently this is a slightly different wine than the "Steiner Kögl," which is how it was identified on the restaurant wine list (but not the label) -- but no matter: enough richness of fruit to suggest (but then back away from) perceptible RS; intensely floral and minerally with a lot of verve; strongly saline finish that made it an excellent match with sushi and some other modern Japanese items. At $48 for the bottle in an expensive Chicago restaurant, a terrific value.

When we ran out of that, but with more nigiri on the way, we had glasses of Sandhi 2014 Santa Barbara County Chardonnay. Divisive, at least at the level of description: Andrea thought it very citrusy, whereas I thought it seemed a lot more tropical (melon and pineapple); but either way, subdued wood and a focused finish kept it interesting, and I think we both enjoyed it well enough, though I'm not sure I'd seek it out again.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Undhof, Sandhi

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:I think we both enjoyed it well enough, though I'm not sure I'd seek it out again.

Pretty much sums up my Sandhi experiences. Same for Domaine de la Cote.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon May 21, 2018 4:02 pm

+1. Haven't had the chardonnay, mind you, but a pinot noir sure didn't seem up to the winemaker's reputation.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue May 22, 2018 6:31 am

My first Moorman, of any variety. It's funny, I'd seen both of your comments about the Sandhi PN while researching the wine list, which is one thing that kept me from ordering a bottle of this. A glass was just the right amount, so thanks for that...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 am

Wait, that's not true: isn't he also the winemaker at Stolpman? I had a good run of Stolpman rosés a couple of years ago. Not sure I've had anything else from them.
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 am

Patchen Markell wrote:... Sandhi 2014 Santa Barbara County Chardonnay. ... I'm not sure I'd seek it out again.

I opened one of these recently and felt the same way. The acidity was awkward as if it were unnatural, with the body neither lithe nor round. It was rather a strange wine, but it cooked very well!