The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Speaking of Taupenot-Merme...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

WTN: Speaking of Taupenot-Merme...

by Patchen Markell » Sun May 27, 2018 10:45 am

...shortly after reading Jenise's recent Burg note, I spied a Taupenot-Merme 2015 Saint-Romain Blanc on a wine list, and it fit the bill for our meal, so we gave it a try, with great success. Rich tree fruit, slight tropicality, ripe and bright; takes a turn on the palate toward minerality, which draws all the loose threads of flavor together into a coherent finish. Nicely complex, excellent energy, a very light touch with the wood. This seems to retail for under $40 in the US, and at that price I'd definitely buy it again.

This came a couple of days after we opened a Mount Eden Vineyards 2011 Santa Cruz Mountains Chardonnay, Estate. An effective caricature has to be recognizably related to the real features of its subject, and this wine has some of the features that are central to "cartoon California Chardonnay": creamy oak, a little butter, ripe fruit, relatively high octane (14.5%). But here, those features aren't exaggerated, and they're not the whole story, because there's also good balancing acidity, as well as a finish that isn't quite minerally but is still mouthwatering. Like finding the beauty of the real face behind the parody made of this style (or that this style can sometimes make of itself).
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Speaking of Taupenot-Merme...

by Jenise » Sun May 27, 2018 11:08 am

You've got my attention! Was just looking at the St. Romain at Vinfolio yesterday, they've got it priced at $33. Is it Sauv Blanc? Vinfolio was unspecific about the grape and so are you, but the only St. Romains I've had were SB, so...?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun May 27, 2018 11:41 am

No, Chardonnay!

(I didn't think any Sauvignon Blanc was grown in Burgundy -- but Wikipedia tells me it is, in Saint Bris --which I've never heard of, but which I assume also practices mohel-lactic fermentation...)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 27, 2018 12:58 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:No, Chardonnay!

(I didn't think any Sauvignon Blanc was grown in Burgundy -- but Wikipedia tells me it is, in Saint Bris --which I've never heard of, but which I assume also practices mohel-lactic fermentation...)

MY BAD! I confused the two. Saint this saint that...eh.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun May 27, 2018 1:09 pm

It's easy to get confused in all the hubbub, what with all the drums, trumpets, and horsemen. :-)
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Patchen Markell wrote:It's easy to get confused in all the hubbub, what with all the drums, trumpets, and horsemen. :-)

It's more like I'm not Catholic. Can't tell one saint from another. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 27, 2018 1:43 pm

Vinfolio (out of California, perhaps no help to you) has burgundy on sale this weekend for 15% off. Want to buy, probably shouldn't. I don't need more wine, I just need more Taupenot-Merme.
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun May 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Ugh, I'm basically not buying anything until we're settled in Ithaca and have a functional cellar. My storage here is maxed out, and the move gives me a good excuse to stop, er, pause. I think it'll be possible to ship direct from wineries to New York, but not from out-of-state retailers. Of course, I'll have access to all the NY state retailers I haven't been able to buy from in Illinois, so that might make up for it...
cheers, Patchen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 27, 2018 2:29 pm

I totally get it. When do you pack up?
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Move will be in the first half of July.

I've already gotten rid of about a thousand books -- less than 15% of the total library, mind you -- and the equivalent of about 40 reams of paper worth of files from back in the days when, if you wanted to save a copy of an academic journal article, you'd photocopy it and put it in a folder.

(And I've spent a fair bit of time wondering why I couldn't have decided to collect something a little less heavy, like stamps, or maybe feathers. At least I'm not a vinylhead.)
cheers, Patchen