The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '96 ESJ Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '96 ESJ Syrah

by Dale Williams » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:31 pm

David is visiting, he and his mom were cooking a family favorite, beef jantaboon. I grilled some shisitos and opened the 1996 Edmunds St. John Syrah (California), didn't want Dave to miss Berkeley too much. Not sure vineyard source for this. Resolved tannin, black plum fruit overlaid with smoke and meat notes. Gets spicy. Holds up well for couple hours, nice sweet finish if not really long. Fun, in a good place. B++
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: '96 ESJ Syrah

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:48 am

Let's see: Durell (5 different blocks), Fenaughty (3 or 4 different blocks). Think that's it. A bit of Grenache, from both Pallini, in Ukiah, and a touch of Grenache from Fenaughty. (Grenache portion roughly 3% of total volume.). The Syrah at Durell that was under contract to Kendall-Jackson they bailed on, and I opted to take a run at it. Since the wine's still offering some pleasure in the glass, I guess I got no complaints. :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '96 ESJ Syrah

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:27 am

Nice!

I didn't get the '96 in either of my library purchases, and now wish I had. Oh well. I'll "suffer" with the '95 and '01. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up